GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am a new member looking for some good opinions and advice. Ill try to keep this short and sweet. 06 1500 5.3 3.23 factory 20's. My major dislike :grrrrrr: is the truck is sluggish and 90% of my driving is city. i am also in the market for a set of 22's. my thing is if i swap gears i want to make it worth it. any help would be great. thanks Bert

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
from what you describe, I would suggest 3.73's. trucks not lifted and just going larger wheels. are you going larger tire hieght or just increasing rim diameter and going lower profile? If you are staying at a factory tire size the 3.73 will increase that low end grunt for the get up and go without making your highway rpms too high. you will still need to adjust your speedomemeter with a gear change. May be able to go with a programmer or even better a custom tune. this will be cheaper than a gear swap as well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
3.73's. Check out Yukon, G2, or another vendor. With new gears, you'll need to have your speedo recalibrated. I suggest a tune form Blackbear Performance

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club, Bert. X3 on the 3.73's.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just go with a set of 5.13's......Just kidding I agree on the 3.73's. What is that x4 now?

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Figure out what gears you have and go from there. also define sluggish because these trucks have electronic throttle, and the PCM controls it which is programmed by engineers. So they arent so snappy off the line as they should be.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have 3:42's in my truck and with the 305/50/20 tires it's a little slow off the line, if I want a little extra get up I just push the little button on the end of the shifter!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Adam how much slower off the line is your truck since you put those tires on?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The difference in height over the stock tires is only about half an inch so its not a huge difference but enough for me to notice. Especially when I switch the wheels and tires in the winter and summer. One thing I have noticed though, is the power transfer is so much better since I lowered the truck. With the rear lift blocks removed there is no axle wrap and no lost energy transferring power to the rear. It now breaks the tires loose on a roll, and it never did that before. Torque management still kills it off the line though.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
thanks Adam.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I am going to be doing gears in the next couple of weeks. I have 22" tires and stock 3.23 gears. I was thinking 4.10s but I do freeway driving it would be too much for freeway driving.

You can use this forula to see what RPMs you will be at:

MPH X Gear Ratio X 336 divided by tire height.

You can use the calcualtor here to figure in your over drive.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

I will be installing 3.73s

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the wheels are looking at are 22x10 and my tire will be a 305/40/22. I just want to make sure if a swap that its worth it. I do have a trailer that i pull every couple of weeks nothing i would consider too heavy and even on interstate flat it won't run in overdrive. Well i would like to say thanks for all the help and input. I will let yall know what the outcome is.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
the 3.73's will definately help with the towing then as well.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
4.10 get your moneys worth...You'll love em....
Until I got on the freeway! With a 32" tire height my rpm would be at 4 grand or better!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts