GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well as i posted earlier on this forum i was lifting my 2001 suburban with the cst 11" kit...after i had it installed and everything i have decided to convert to leaf springs with a total of 20+ inches of lift and run the Michelin 52" military tires...they are 16.00x20 so i be converting to a different rear end, maybe a 8 lug or 10 lug rear and run the KMC Rockstars 20x10...hopefully all this will be done within the next 3 months and running by the summer time...and def. have pics up for everyone...

-dave

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
are you gunna run XL's, XML's, XZL's or what? That sounds crazy by the way I cant wait to see some pictures. :great:

·
Super Moderator
3,397 Posts
I'm not going to question the usefulness of 52" inch tires, because if I had the ability to, I'd probably do the same thing...that's gonna look very interesting anyways....

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Even with 20" of lift are you going to be able to run 52" tires without serious modification to the wheel wells and all the parts around. What about your driveshaft, custom? Can your tranny turn those 52's. Can you give a little more info on what you have planned?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
yea what axles were you planning on using? solid axle swap for sure up front? gears?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm still doing research and talking to people, but i'd like to have 24" of lift total...i can get 16" springs with no problem from a shop out in cali, so some blocks, and body lift i should be good...one shop said 20" would give me enough room with 5 inches of clearance and i may end up putting an airbag set up on it as well just for extra lift if needed...as far as axles go, i may end up swapping to a f250 axles since i have them already...but 10 bolt rears are pretty common to find also...the truck will more than likely stay 2wd since i don't plan on wheeling it...honestly just want something to stand out...i'm looking for a duramax set up to swap as well...and drive shaft will be custom like the whole suspension and steering set up...and as far as gears go, well i'm still looking into that...like i said i'm still researching it, but by the summer time the truck should be completed and back on the road...thanks guys

-dave

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I don't know that the 10 bolt or a 250 axle will handle those tires. I would probably go with at least dana 60's or a 14 bolt rear, and d60 front. If you were going to do 4wd I would do rockwells because those are indestructible and about as big as you can go. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah if you do a 10 bolt be prepared to replace it often it will not hold up to those 52" tires. I would be hesitant to put anythimng bigger than a 37 on a 10 bolt rear. Im not saying you cant do it and that I havent seen it work its just asking for trouble!

My .02

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the f250 rearend i have is a dana 60...and i thought about the 2 1/2 ton axles...well just have to see how everything plays out...i'm not going to wheel the truck...its just for show, and will not be driven all that much anyways...but thanks for all the advice guys...keep it coming, i appreciate it

-dave

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Im agreeing with the others when I say 10 bolt and 52" = instant breakage.... go with a 14 bolt or I guess a dana 60 prob a 70 if you can get them. The 60's will prob be ok if your on road but you still may break shafts. and rockwells are never a bad idea if you can get them they will never break on you. my .02 as well. oh yea and have you heard of Keldermann air ride air bag suspension?? I would highly suggest them. oh and by the way your plan of standing out will definitely be met, hell this thing will be legendary if you do all this to a friggen burban!! Good Luck with everything!! :great:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i figure i will can spend about $10K...i estimate it will cost me roughly $5-6K for suspension, wheels and tires...another $1-2K on fabricating, and another $2K or better for misc items...hopefully i can budget in a diesel setup :happy: ...but we will see how everything plays out...

and yes i have seen Keldermann systems...they are extremely nice set up and def. on the top of my list for the air bag set up...i plan on calling them next week and talking to them about my project...

i am also putting my buddies 1999 powerstroke f250 on 52's as well...they both should be done around the same time...

-dave

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
damn dude keep us posted!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh...well budget will be around $12-15K...forgot about steering :no: ...i'm sure by the time i'm done it will be more like $20K with everything, including paint
-dave

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Man when i read 10K I was like " either he's getting a steal or not getting it done right." 15-20K sounds alot better. I hope this pans out for ya cause your rig will be a beast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks man...yeah i forget a few things when i was writing everything down...i think i am going with a 2 1/2 ton axles cause i found one completely rebuilt for 600, so now i gotta figure out my steering and the rest of my drivetrain...i may as well convert it to a 4wd and that would solve the steering issue...

-dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well the front axle 2 1/2 ton comes with all the steering, so if i converted it to a 4wd then it would solve the steering issue...so the steering issue would be solved :rofl: ...but i seriously doubt i will be converting it, expecially with the gas motor that in it, maybe if i was to do the diesel swap...but that a big maybe

-dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts