GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 3.23 gears, would switching to 4.10 gears have any negative effect on my truck such ass more stress on the tranny

·
Registered
561 Posts
did you change tire size? if not why do you want to change gears? if your beast is 4X4 you will need to do the front end as well doubling the cost. what is the max size tire you plane to run? are you going to tow? mud bog? what is the truck purpose? sorry for all the questions but all need an answer so we can complete your request. mike

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Something you posted before makes me think your truck is a 2wd, if this is correct you'll only need to swap the rear gears.
I remember you also posted about going to larger tires. Decide the size tires you want then using the chart that was in the previous post choose the gears that work best with your tire size.
The trans wont suffer excessive stress with the new gears, the larger tires may cause some stress if you put them on before the new gears are in.
Your model truck could be ordered with 4.10 gears so it shouldnt void any warranty.
When you look at tires and gears take a look at the Dakota digital speed sensor, this will keep your computer happy with the larger tires and keep your speedometer reading correctly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is 2wd, and im gonna do about 50% highway and 50% city driving, not really gonna do any major offroading,not gonna tow, for the next 4 or 5 months im gonna have 265/70/17 until i go with either 33's or 34's (still deciding), i wanted to know if those gears are to short for 265's and will it kill my milage on highway

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Mileage will suffer some, and your top end will be a little slower, but from stop light to stop light she'll scream.
Overall it wont be bad, as I posted before that tire/gear combination can be ordered from the factory.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Dude you know you want to get 4.10's. :glasses:.. Just think of it this way, 40 inch tires, and like 5.56 gears and you'd STILL get better gas mileage then me. :rofl:

·
Registered
592 Posts
If highway mileage isn't an issue, go for it. Especially if you go to a larger tire. Just make sure you have a reputable shop install them for you, along with a warranty.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i figured highway milage would go down, i just wanted to get a rough estimate of how much, i can deal with a 1 to 2 mile p/g loss, but if its gonna be more than that then i need to know so i can go with 3.73s cause i do drive on the highway alot, does anyone actually have 4.10's in there sierra/silverado and if so just let me know how your milage is, i wanna do my gears right the first time so sorry if i go on and on with these questions

·
Registered
561 Posts
with a 34" tire i say go with the 4.56 gears. if you do alot of highway ge the tires 1st then change gears. it is hard to say milage change as it can differ from car to car just look at the normal RPM for the gears you want and see if you can hancle that sound on long drives. my 4:56 and 40" run about 2700 RPM so almost stock going down the freeway. if i knew i was going to get 40"s i would have gone with 5:13 and been alot happer....mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 4.10's and the 6.0 engine on an 08' silverado LTZ.. combined mileage is around 16-17 but I go REAL easy on the gas... I'm glad I got the 4.10's as we plan to tow a rather large boat... 8,000 lbs!..

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Tic, I'm glad to hear you have the 4.10's on your silverado because I want to put them on my 07 Sierra with the 4.8 that i'll be beefing up to 6.0 power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts