GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2005 Silverado 40k miles. It has a 4.3l v6 though, what can I do to give that motor a little more power and maybe help with mpg? Cold Air intake, supercharge?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 2005 Silverado 40k miles. It has a 4.3l v6 though, what can I do to give that motor a little more power and maybe help with mpg? Cold Air intake, supercharge?
What kind of body style do you have? Extended cab? Regular cab? Long bed? Short bed?

I have the regular cab, shortbed and I recently averaged 25.5 mpg on the highway going between 60-65mph.

Cold air intake by K&N is something that I am strongly considering. I have heard good things about it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
25 mpg I have a 03 silverado with the 4.3 and it gets horrible fuel mileage. To get the power out of the v6 you have to put a cai, tune, exhaust, AND put a bottle of meth in it. All of this for less than 2 grand. A custom tune would make wonders on the power for you. Talk to jesse at wait4meperformance call him and talk to him his website is not finished yet but you can get the phone number off of it. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi, I would say to maximize your fuel
1. Lighter Foot ( Obvious I know, but It's true works for me )
2. Intake definitely. Make sure you stay out of water with the K and N
3. Cat back maybe? Doesn't do a whole lot, maybe 1-2 mpg at best. It will sound good though.
4. Make sure you aren't carrying anything that isn't necessary in your truck. Example: I used to carry a Snow Machine around with me all the time, not only when I used it.
5. Tires inflated properly.
6. Computer Programmer, will work well, my friend has an s10 V6.

That's about it.
Best of Luck to You.

2006 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3l Z71 4WD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get/invest your money in a new truck with a bigger engine lol. I also have an 05’ Reg. Cab 4.3L/4L60E (VIN: X) and I’ve replaced the Engine, Transmission, shocks, front springs, headliner, brake rotors, brake calipers & pads, spider assembly, fuses, battery, alternator, ignition coil (twice, 1st one I smashed in anger), new distributor (cap & then entire distributor), new spark plug wires (MSD 8.5mm), new spark plugs (4 times, now iridium), all new engine sensors, all new engine sensor connectors (minus the A/C Condenser & A/C Compressor connectors which operate fine), new thermostat, new water pump, new intake (upper & lower) manifold gaskets, cleaned out the lower intake manifold, cleaned out the throttle body, new belt, new radiator, new headlight assemblies, new signal light assemblies, new tail light assemblies, new bulbs, new valve covers & gaskets, new PCV valve, new hoses, new MAF sensor, K&N intake filter, new exhaust manifolds & gaskets, new battery NEGATIVE cable, replaced engine to body/chassis grounds with newer & thicker stranded 2-AWG wires & added extra grounds, wire brushed clean & added dielectric grease to each attachment point, new U-Joint at rear of axle.....etc.
Dude, I’m at least $14,000 deep (just in parts orders) into a max $4,500 truck on a great day in absolute showroom/mint condition with next to zero mileage. Besides the over the counter & online ordered components, that $14k doesn’t include the fluids, tools ($1,000-$2,000+ easily), touchscreen scanner ($500 which is now also smashed for not performing as it should have). After everything, I’m still chasing a damn electrical ghost issue. I “fix” one thing and something else fails. It still has a “random misfire code &/or a misfire on Cylinder #3 & #6. New transmission is now shifting hard in 2nd. It just keeps going. **** this truck. God help me, if I wasn’t already this deep into it & if I wasn’t this stubborn on seeing it through....I’d have already set this bitch on fire and used it for target practice. It’s an godly rabbit hole money pit of pure fucking anger and despair. My truck & the original engine & transmission have now been moved into the “spare time project” category/file and will be replaced with a NEW 2500 Dodge Cummins 4x4. My plans for this 4.3L project are to make it a heavy cam, blown through carbureted or twin turbo carbureted v6 with being as balanced & as lightweight and with as minimal engine computing engagement as humanly possible. E.g. 1970’s tech. Go buy yourself a new vehicle and don’t waste anymore of your time &/or money &/or frustration on your (mine too) low grade, low quality, poorly engineered piece of **** truck. It ain’t worth it. YOU WILL NEVER GET YOUR MONEY BACK ON YOUR “INVESTMENT” into this truck.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,863 Posts
Matt, that was an amazing rant. You do know that was a 12 year old post and it’s likely they did exactly what you recommended, right?

Reactions: Matt84Chevy05_4.3L

·
Registered
6 Posts
Matt, that was an amazing rant. You do know that was a 12 year old post and it’s likely they did exactly what you recommended, right?
Oh absolutely! I hope this person did get a new truck and avoided all troubles. Lol yeah I have plenty of built up resentment /frustration/anger/negativity/you name it towards my truck/my failed project. I know/knew when I posted it. I also know (& knew when I posted my comment) that other people in the future will have issues with their same pos 4.3L GM or want to improve on their pos truck same as this guy/same as me. So yeah, i just wanted to add in my 2 cents (more like a $1.00+) in the hopes that someone/that person or anyone else starting their journey might just take heed of what I’m saying & take warning to avoid the same costly mistakes.
And I’m glad you read my post too. Lol.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,863 Posts
I get it. Intermittent gremlins are the worst. I’m chasing a lighting ground on my Holiday Rambler motor home I just picked up. One good thing about her is she only has 49K on the clock. The 454 runs so beautifully and the tranny shifts very well. Some previous owner choked her down with 2.25” duals so that’s getting ripped off for 3”. Can’t be choking the airflow like that.

I am totally with you about the 4.3. My ‘95 short step had one. The A/C would cut in driving down Main Street and you’d think I hit the brakes! Yanked that out and put in a 0.040 over 5.7 with a Melling MTC-1 cam and 14lb fuel pressure spring. Added a ’96 Vortec fuel pump a little later in the game, but that was a huge improvement. Took me about 4 months to finally figure out the correct wiring since I had to go backwards one year to get the right computer and correctly wire it in.

It was so much extra power that the factory NV3500 couldn't handle it. New beefed up one fixed that issue.

I figured I added almost 100hp with the upgrades from that 4.3.

Don’t get me wrong. The 4.3 is a great engine………

For an S-10! 😵‍💫😁

• Haha
Reactions: PlaywithTBI
1 - 8 of 8 Posts