GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently drive a 2000 GMC sierra 2500 with the 6.0L V8. It's been a great truck. I was thinking of trading it on a 2011 Sierra/Silverado 1/2 ton. GM has employee pricing so it makes things tempting. My questions would be:
1. In looking at the 2011 1/2 ton, they don't seem to be built as well as my 2000. The seats are mushy and the ride was uncomfortable.
2. To move to the 5.3L and 6 speed auto requires a $2000 premium here in Canada. When I drove the 5.3 and 6 speed on a test drive, I wasn't too impressed. The transmission was shifting all over the place and never knew what gear to be in. Then, I tried out the 4.8 and 4 speed and it was smooth. So, what's the truth about the 5.3 and 6 speed? Does it really get the mpg, the EPA claims: 15 city/21 highway? Perhaps the 4.8 and old 4 speed would be o.k?

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Love my 4.8/4-speed. But........mine is a SWB/regular cab/2wd. Very smooth, tows great, 4000# boat, and that suprised me. I never cared for the 99-06 1/2 tons, for basically what you said. Soft seat and mushy ride. I bought mine used in Jan 2011, and at six months in, i can say i really dig the new style truck. Lots of little things that are nice. As far as brand new ones, the black interiors i can't stand, get an LT, and get a locker. I get 17 mpg average, (on the dash) mostly city.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club. I'd go with a 5.3 and 4spd. Seems like everyone complains about the 6spds.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have the 4.8/4sp crew cab '2010 and love it. Went with it rather than the 5.3/6sp due to not liking the AFM and I didn't enjoy the test drive I took with it. On the highway it gets fairly good mileage but have obnly done short trips when fully loaded (i.e 20sheets of drywall and a lot of tools and other cargo. Rode well even loaded. Haven't towed a trailer yet, but, planning on it later this summer and expect it will do fine. A $2000 premium is a lot of gas money to move top the 5.3 and I dont think the mileage will vary enough between the two options unless you doing lots of travelling in city driving situations.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Can you still get the 5.3 with the 4spd?????:confused:

·
Registered
992 Posts
I currently drive a 2000 GMC sierra 2500 with the 6.0L V8. It's been a great truck. I was thinking of trading it on a 2011 Sierra/Silverado 1/2 ton. GM has employee pricing so it makes things tempting. My questions would be:
1. In looking at the 2011 1/2 ton, they don't seem to be built as well as my 2000. The seats are mushy and the ride was uncomfortable.
2. To move to the 5.3L and 6 speed auto requires a $2000 premium here in Canada. When I drove the 5.3 and 6 speed on a test drive, I wasn't too impressed. The transmission was shifting all over the place and never knew what gear to be in. Then, I tried out the 4.8 and 4 speed and it was smooth. So, what's the truth about the 5.3 and 6 speed? Does it really get the mpg, the EPA claims: 15 city/21 highway? Perhaps the 4.8 and old 4 speed would be o.k?

Thanks
i would go with the 4.8 with the s spd i got the 5.3 with a 4spd and love it drove my buddys with a 6 spd and i did not like how the transmission was shifting either.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses. They're very informative. I appreciate them.

Seems like the consensus is to go with a 4 speed and avoid the 6 speed.

In doing my research, it seems like the 5.3 and 4 speed were available up to the 2009 model year. That's the year GM put the 6 speed in with the 5.3. The 4.8 and 4 speed are still available

So, to get the 5.3 and 4 speed, I'd have to look at a used truck from 2007 to 2008. If I go new, then I should stick with the 4.8 and 4 speed.

I've also heard that installing a truck cap on your bed helps with fuel economy. Anyone hear this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts