GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1999 Chevy C3500 with 350 vortex and 4L80E.
VIN# 1GCGC33R8XF052498

The transmission is bad. I want to know what years and trucks\vans can I get a transmission from that are swappable, direct plug and play with no modifications. (I'm not asking about 4L60E's at all I don't have one and I don't need "THEIR" information)

I'm just asking if my transmission is a 99, will a 2000-2006 4L80E work the exact same?
Just like for example we all know a 79 truck door won't fit on a 93 truck.
I know there has to be some sort of interchange list, I just don't know where.

These are the best pictures I have if I need to take pictures of other areas of the transmission please let me know so I can try to take the correct pictures if needed.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Rim Terrestrial plant

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Rim Gas

Wood Eyewear Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sculpture Art Metal

Automotive tire Tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
GM changes the 4l60 transmissions .your 1999 3500 truck 4l80 look up the 1999 3500 on your truck .. GM goes to the dealership that looks up that correct transmission part #..
4l60 has a lot of electronic devices modified .. then the connectors change the devices in the transmission and the PCM software modifies ...

did you want to rebuild your transmission ?
GM dumped the DEXRON III .... 2006.. GM WENT TO BANKRUPTCY ....a lot of transmission failures....DEXRON VI [6]
2000 silverado 1500 4X4 ..I changed the mobil synthetic transmission fluid..
I was on my 20K miles and that DEXRON III did a lot of gray color.. ..I changed it again 38K miles and the fluid looks pretty good .. then the 75K miles the fluid look like new..
my truck has no failures 178K miles fluid looks like new ..working now ...

·
Super Moderator
1,595 Posts
I can't find anything I would consider authoritative, but my impression has always been that the 4L80E did not change much over the years, so they are mostly compatible. A quick internet search found some talk of a minor change to a park/neutral switch, and maybe a missing bolt or bolthole in the bellhousing mounting to the engine. I am getting the impression that the 4L80E has much fewer changes that make for incompatibilities.

Reactions: Red Lion

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GM changes the 4l60 transmissions .your 1999 3500 truck 4l80 look up the 1999 3500 on your truck .. GM goes to the dealership that looks up that correct transmission part #..
4l60 has a lot of electronic devices modified .. then the connectors change the devices in the transmission and the PCM software modifies ...

did you want to rebuild your transmission ?
GM dumped the DEXRON III .... 2006.. GM WENT TO BANKRUPTCY ....a lot of transmission failures....DEXRON VI [6]
2000 silverado 1500 4X4 ..I changed the mobil synthetic transmission fluid..
I was on my 20K miles and that DEXRON III did a lot of gray color.. ..I changed it again 38K miles and the fluid looks pretty good .. then the 75K miles the fluid look like new..
my truck has no failures 178K miles fluid looks like new ..working now ...
Thanks but that's not what I'm asking at all

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Thanks but that's not what I'm asking at all
GM modified 4L60 transmissions over 20 yrs .. I did not use/fix the 4l80 transmissions not info on that 4L80 ...did not work on your tranny ..did you want to rebuild your transmission ?
in today's world now the parts are dropping ...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GM modified 4L60 transmissions over 20 yrs .. I did not use/fix the 4l80 transmissions not info on that 4L80 ...did not work on your tranny ..did you want to rebuild your transmission ?
in today's world now the parts are dropping ...
I probably am going to have it rebuilt because I can't find any information on getting a 4L80E from other vehicles. I do not have a 4L60E in my vehicle so I don't need any information pertaining to a 4L60E because it does not help me because my vehicle does not have one. I was planning on going to the junkyard and getting another 4L80E to replace the one in my truck but I was saying for example if there was a 2006 truck that had one would that be perfectly swappable plug and Play 4L80E

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
get the junkyard 4l80E and rebuild the transmission ...then the transmission runs good .. then flush out the transmission fluid around 500 miles ....after the rebuild ....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't find anything I would consider authoritative, but my impression has always been that the 4L80E did not change much over the years, so they are mostly compatible. A quick internet search found some talk of a minor change to a park/neutral switch, and maybe a missing bolt or bolthole in the bellhousing mounting to the engine. I am getting the impression that the 4L80E has much fewer changes that make for incompatibilities.
I read some of that also. But could not find a interchange\ compatibility list. Plenty info on 4l60e to 4l80e swaps and step by step on all that.
I have the newer style with the lines farther apart. I couldn't find any numbers except on the driver's side tail of the trans to identify it better.
It seems like there's no where to get detailed information for someone like me that doesn't know much at all, and where to get "CORRECT" information!
Automotive tire Gas Rim Metal Bumper

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
I know the GM data is in the dealership could be the truck vin# then use the transmission part data # ..
GM is bankrupt 2007 .. GM changes the company .
my 1996 Impala I replaced the distributor cable,, well the CCP part I bought it in the dealership then the connector was wrong .. I got the part # correct ........ then I sent it back ... did not connect to the engine wiring harness ..connector.......error .

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
I know the GM data is in the dealership could be the truck vin# then use the transmission part data # ..
GM is bankrupt 2007 .. GM changes the company .
my 1996 Impala I replaced the distributor cable,, well the CCP part I bought it in the dealership then the connector was wrong .. I got the part # correct ........ then I sent it back ... did not connect to the engine wiring harness ..connector.......error .

Select Parts Category - 1999 Chevrolet C3500 | GM Parts Online
VIN# 1GCGC33R8XF052498
put in your vin # then see the parts ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts