GM Truck Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Good night.

how do I determine which pilot bearing to use, the rolling one, which is bigger or the smaller on that sits further back in the crank?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good day.

I drained the NV3500 I installed in the truck, the little oil that came out was extremely dirty.

I was told that I can fill it with diesel, let sit for a few minutes and drain. Is that a good idea?

Can I use the oil it the photo to refill the gear box ?

Attachments

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,086 Posts
Yes. Wet similar to what I put in mine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This really have me puzzled, and I know it’s simple. However it’s been kicking my you know what for almost 2 weeks.

I can’t press the clutch, it’s hard.

Back story.

installed and tried to bleed the clutch, on the vehicle. I didn’t get it to work. I took the system off of the truck and bleed it on the bench, I got all of the bubbles out and installed it, finally it worked, was able to shift into all gears. 😁

the following day tried starting it, and it wouldn’t crank, I discovered the pedal was hard again. So I took the master cylinder and slave oil again, dumped the fluid out, and started over. When it was completed, I installed it in the truck and it worked.

now the same thing is happening again, the pedal is hard.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
It’s quite possible that the slave cylinder piston is misaligned. Try removing the slave, then, while it’s out, depress the piston fully. Once it bottoms out, carefully reinsert it. I had the same thing happen last winter when I installed my new one.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
There’s enough time as it won’t immediately spring back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Good morning.
Can someone assist me with getting a possible part number.

Back story.

swapped out my 4L80E for a NV3500, now my drive shaft is about 3” to short.
My truck is a 2001 2500HD 6.0L V8.

I need to purchase a longer shaft. Anyone happen to know a part number that will assist me?
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Might not actually be a direct part number. You may have to locate a machine shop specializing in driveline work. They should be able to assist with how to take the correct measurements.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
Most of those shops will take the old one apart and just add a longer tube to the 2 end yoke.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Good morning. I have a NV3500 in my truck. When I get in the truck for the first time for the day an start it up, I can select all gears easily, as the day goes on, it’s hard to put the truck into first gear, I would have to put it into gear with the truck turned off. Switching from 1st to 2nd can be a little difficult sometimes, but it switches 2nd to 3rd easily also 3r to 4th and 4th to 5th.

Can anyone help me to understand why this is happening?

Thank you.
L

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
My guess would be heat expansion, as the flywheel and the clutch heat up the clutch is not fully releasing.
The other possibility is heat and wear (I don't remember is the transmission was new, or used) inside the transmission.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
Do the gears grind when the shifts are hard?

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
ok, that eliminates the clutch.
If the clutch wasn't fully releasing the gears would grind at times. I don't know what gears have synchros, but reverse doesn't, if clutch was bad it would grind going into reverse.

You may need to pull that transmission.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It a new clutch I installed when I did the swap. I’ve been driving the truck for two weeks, I don’t think the clutch will be bad. Anything is possible, but that‘a high unlikely.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
Ok, go back and re-read what I typed.

If the gears don't grind, the clutch is good.
And I probably shouldn't have used the word bad, I should have said "needs adjusting" .

When I said you may need to pull the transmission I was saying that the transmission may have a fault.

However, I still keep thinking that the clutch needs a little more clearance.
If you have to turn off the engine to get the trans into low that sounds like clutch

When you turn off the engine does it go into low real easy.
If it does, the clutch needs more clearance.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts