GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 4.8L with a manual transfer case and I’ve noticed this ever since I bought the vehicle back a couple of months ago that when I am in 4WD and I got to switch from reverse to park that it would make a loud click sound, is this something normal, it has a 148,000 miles on it and it just got a new transmission at 145,000 miles, any help is appreciated

·
Registered
15,490 Posts
Well, a clunk going from Drive to Park and from Reverse to Park are pretty common, in 2wd as well as 4wd.

Just what do you mean by a click, is it an electrical, or a mechanical click.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, a clunk going from Drive to Park and from Reverse to Park are pretty common, in 2wd as well as 4wd.

Just what do you mean by a click, is it an electrical, or a mechanical click.
Sounds more like a mechanical click

·
Registered
15,490 Posts
No noise in 2WD?

Are you doing this with your foot on the brake?

A lot of the time when your in 4WD on a hard dry surface and the wheels are turned a little, there is some tension in the drivetrain (the wheels are all turning in a different size circle); then when you go to Park, the tension tries to release, resulting in a clunk, or a click.
Are you on a hard dry surface when this happens?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No noise in 2WD?

Are you doing this with your foot on the brake?

A lot of the time when your in 4WD on a hard dry surface and the wheels are turned a little, there is some tension in the drivetrain (the wheels are all turning in a different size circle); then when you go to Park, the tension tries to release, resulting in a clunk, or a click.
Are you on a hard dry surface when this happens?
Yes there is noise in 2wd too and it does seem to only happen when my foot is on the brake and some tension on the drivetrain and It happens on dirt and asphalt

·
Registered
15,490 Posts
Your calling it "a loud click sound", where does it seem to be coming from?

·
Registered
15,490 Posts
At this point, I'm thinking that it's normal, wish I could hear it.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,280 Posts
If you can’t send videos on this forum then I just wanted to add one more thing, it doesn’t just make one click it makes like a few fast clicking sounds
Are you 100% positive you have stopped all truck movement when shifting into park? This will make a series of loud clicks. (Edit: Clicks is probably the wrong word for this particular noise...)

The sheath on the shift cable (assuming automatic transmission) may be binding internally. A cheap check would be to lay under the truck while someone shifts in and out of gear.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This sounds pretty normal for a 4L60E, they do make slight clicks/clunks going into drive or reverse. Also could be that this rebuilt transmission was done poorly and they forgot to put in the anti-clunk spring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This sounds pretty normal for a 4L60E, they do make slight clicks/clunks going into drive or reverse. Also could be that this rebuilt transmission was done poorly and they forgot to put in the anti-clunk spring.
I think it might be normal and it is a brand new transmission not rebuilt

·
Registered
15,490 Posts
Members have added a lot of vids over the years there is a way to do it.

·
Registered
15,490 Posts
Top right
Members have added a lot of vids over the years there is a way to do it.
Top right corner, click menu hamburger, select FAQ, scroll down to add video.

You need to host the video on a site like YouTube

1 - 20 of 39 Posts