GM Truck Club Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15,463 Posts
That sounds like the brake interlock, it's somewhere under the dash, maybe down near the floor

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
sometimes the spline on the transmission/transfercase needs to be greased. it slides slightly back and fourth when going from drive to reverse, it's just a slight binding that's letting go, grease will let it slide. this could be all that it is. it's so common that it's almost a normal sound.

Reactions: CCIICC2

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
nahahhhh that sounds just like the shift linkage. with a new rebuilt transmission I bet it's just locking into position internally a lot more than it was before it was rebuilt.

Al

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I also agree Ray.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
with a foot on the brake... so it has nothing to do with the tranny or drivetrain.... shift linkage and brake interlock switch.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,269 Posts
Might be the sheath sliding through the bracket beside the transmission as the cable tensions.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Sorry if I’m saying this a second time I’m not sure if I replied to myself the first time, but this morning I went to make sure that it was making the same noise in 2wd drive also, but it only seems to be making that noise when in 4WD and I also noticed whenever it is in 4WD it seems to put more tension on the drivetrain that if it is in 2wd and the sound is more noticeable if I go to move the shifter slower from reverse to park, does this still sound pretty normal

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I replied to your second post. " Clicking noise"

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I replied to your second post. " Clicking noise"
I don’t think I replied right on my second post so I’ll say it again here, but it got a new gm reman transmission and installed at a gm dealership a couple of months ago so could it be the new transmission

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So I took my truck the Chevy dealership yesterday and was able to get them to listen to the noise my truck is making and the tech their said “the noise your hearing is normal and that the 4L60e is known for having a loud parking paw” so I’m glad it’s something not to worry about

·
Registered
185 Posts
So I took my truck the Chevy dealership yesterday and was able to get them to listen to the noise my truck is making and the tech their said “the noise your hearing is normal and that the 4L60e is known for having a loud parking paw” so I’m glad it’s something not to worry about
The parking paw on my Toyota is louder then the 4L60E in my Chevy S10, with that being said it is still audible. But I have owned multiple vehicles with 4L60E's from the early designs in a 1994 4.3 Silverado to mid/later designs in 1998 and currently my 2003 S10 and every one of them made some clunks going into reverse, park and drive more audible going into park then others because when letting off the brake putting it into park it obviously rolls a little bit for the parking paw to engage and it clunks from that. I just slowly let off the brake in park instead of letting it roll forward hard into the parking paw.

If your parking brake works before you put it into park hold down the brake then engage the parking brake then put it into park. Before you disengage the parking brake make sure you are holding down the brake, see if it does it then.

4L60E transmissions are not the smoothest transmissions nor were they designed to be. But if you maintain them they can last a long time you just got to get used to the way they are. If you are worried about your transmission you can find a local transmission shop (not a chain transmission shop like aamco) and have them check it out for you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don’t think I replied right on my second post so I’ll say it again here, but it got a new gm reman transmission and installed at a gm dealership a couple of months ago so could it be the new transmission
By the way, Precision Transmission in Texas which is probably the best transmission shop out there on their rebuilds they perform a 3,000 mile service where they drop the pan change the filter and fill it up so its a drain/fill. If it were me I personally would also do a 3,000 mile service just to get out all of that break in material.

·
Registered
2004 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew cab 5.3L
18 Posts
I have an 04 Silverado and had the same noise. Turned out to be my transfer case. Apparently there is a spot that gets worn and lets the oil seep out so slowly that you never notice it. The reman transfer cases have a built up area to take care of it. I also wound up having to change out my shift motor because it was weak and not keeping the transfer case engaged going down hills and wouldn't shift into 4LO. My clunking cleared up after replacing the transfer case. The difference between our trucks is mine is a push button 4WD and I have a 5.3L
hello, I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 4.8L with a manual transfer case and I’ve noticed this ever since I bought the vehicle back a couple of months ago that when I am in 4WD and I got to switch from reverse to park that it would make a loud click sound, is this something normal, it has a 148,000 miles on it and it just got a new transmission at 145,000 miles, any help is appreciated

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have an 04 Silverado and had the same noise. Turned out to be my transfer case. Apparently there is a spot that gets worn and lets the oil seep out so slowly that you never notice it. The reman transfer cases have a built up area to take care of it. I also wound up having to change out my shift motor because it was weak and not keeping the transfer case engaged going down hills and wouldn't shift into 4LO. My clunking cleared up after replacing the transfer case. The difference between our trucks is mine is a push button 4WD and I have a 5.3L
These are known to eat through the case, but if you catch it in time you can use a case saver.

·
Registered
2004 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew cab 5.3L
18 Posts
These are known to eat through the case, but if you catch it in time you can use a case saver.
I just wish I had known about this weak link earlier, I could have saved myself some time and money. Live and learn.:)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts