GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for all you guys with 4x4 trucks (or those that are knowledgeable about how it all works)

If I put the truck in 4-High and turn, I feel the front end jerking... which I understand as one tire is pulling and one pushing... but should the truck feel like its in a bind... almost like driving with the E-brake on?

In 4 Low, the truck will barely get above a crawl and you can hear a whine.

Is this something I should take it and have checked out with my $100 deductible extended warranty? (truck has 40k miles on it)

If something is wrong, I'd like to have it fixed before the wet season gets here and I need to use the 4x4.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The "jerking" in 4 high while turning is totally normal.

You say in 4 Low it will barely get above a crawl?? Hmm. 4 Low is simply a lower gear ratio produced through the transfer case, so you definately will not be able to reach any high speeds at all. It's designed for situations where more than normal power is needed. As far as the whining you hear, that is most likely the gears meshing together in the transfer case, also normal in 4 Low. Earlier models had a chain drive and you would not hear any whining from them. LOL.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok... so do you think I should take it to the shop and have it checked?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
You should not feel the truck jerking if you are in ice, snow, or mud, but on dry pavement-yes. How many miles do you have on your truck? Normally the extended warranty will kick in after the factory warranty runs out which I'm not sure about your model but it should be a minimum of 36K miles, up to 100K miles.

I read this on the GM website about warranty questions so give it a read.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand the jerking on dry pavement... my question is about should the truck feel like it is REALLY working to move when in 4H or 4L and turning or backing up?

·
Registered
19 Posts
No, it should feel the same going straight whether in 4 high or 2 high. In 4 Low it should rev up fast and not GO too fast.

If it feels like something is dragging or that it labors so to speak when it's locked in, then yes, I would definately have it checked out.

Hope this helped!

·
Registered
270 Posts
The jerking doesnt sound norm. to me Id have it checked out to be on safe side. Besides that like you said you have the warranty might as well use it because if you get a problem after its expires it could get expensive. Better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The jerking is totally normal if driving on 4hi/low on dry pavement. 4x4 is not supposed to be used on dry pavement and you are running a risk of toasting you transfer case.

The reason that this happens is that with your front axle locked in 4x4 (not with a locker) when you give it gas, the front tires will also want to spin, and therefore you get that jerking feeling.

ONCE AGAIN, DO NOT DO THIS ON DRY PAVEMENT -- Unless you got $3k sitting around for a new transfer case.

4X4 is only meant to be used in situations where the tire will slip (mud, snow, ice, rocks, etc..) In those situations, it won't feel like its jerking.

For your second question, it depends on the gearing of your transfer case. In 4 low, you are not going to go fast. "Crawling" -- the term you used, sounds about right. I believe that a stock chevy t-case is at or around 2.4:1 low ratio, therefore, its pretty slow.

In summary, there is nothing that you should be worried about, everything you describe is normal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand that 4x4 is not meant for dry pavement, and I did this on grass in a field beside my house, if you re-read my posts you will see that I never said I did it on dry pavement :rules: . If I am going in a straight line, everything is fine. It is when I turn that everything feels that it binds up, especially if turning and going in reverse. Then when I straighten out it makes a funny sound and gets better again.

It is hard to explain on here...and I apologize if I am doing a poor job of it :neutral:

Oh yeah... the crawling... I went back outside and put it in 4L again and after it got out of first gear in the straight line it acted more like I thought it should

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
like black jack said i would have it checked just in case... it should not really be jerking when you turn and you are on the grass

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the "jerking" will depend on how aggressive your tires are. The more aggressive, the more jerky it will be while turning, no matter what surface you are on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm just gonna take it into the shop and if nothin' is wrong, then I'll just look like an idiot.. :lol:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
More power to ya Matt! Better safe than sorry esp. when it comes to some expensive repairs that may be covered under warranty. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have it checked if you like, I'm not one to trust the "stealership". But if its uder warranty, go for it.
Keep us updated, but my money is on the fact that everything is behaving as it should.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'm gonna run it by 4 Wheel Performance here in town first and see what they think... I was going to go by and look at some rims anyway

1 - 15 of 15 Posts