GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 bought used with 150,000. miles. It uses probably a quart of oil every thousand miles. I was told these engines uses a lot of oil. Have others experienced this. I had a 97 Chevy 1500 with 300,000 miles that may use a quart every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
14,048 Posts
The problem is a poorly designed PCV valve, it's inside one of the valve covers (drivers side I think), a new valve cover with a repositioned valve will solve the problem.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
506 Posts
Are you "using" or "losing"? There is a difference.

If you are leaving splotches on your driveway, I would look at the oil filter, drain plug, valve cover gaskets, oil pressure sending unit, rear main seal, etc.

Edit: What motor do you have? My 5.3L didn't burn that much oil at 350k miles and was 15 years old at the time I swapped it out.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
506 Posts
The problem is a poorly designed PCV valve, it's inside one of the valve covers (drivers side I think), a new valve cover with a repositioned valve will solve the problem.
When did they move these? My PCV valve tube is on the driver's valve cover. Just curious... Hadn't heard of this issue before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess my question now. I changed the drivers side valve cover and the small orifice in the baffle was plugged with carbon. The new valve cover has the same size hole. Why can't that hole be enlarged or the valve covers cleaned to eliminate the problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you "using" or "losing"? There is a difference.

If you are leaving splotches on your driveway, I would look at the oil filter, drain plug, valve cover gaskets, oil pressure sending unit, rear main seal, etc.

Edit: What motor do you have? My 5.3L didn't burn that much oil at 350k miles and was 15 years old at the time I swapped it out.
To answer your question a 5.3. There is oil on the bottom of the engine from some leakage. There is no sign in the driveway. Oil drip. It does not smoke significantly, it almost like it evaporates. you would thing there would be a cloud of blue smoke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess my question now. I changed the drivers side valve cover and the small orifice in the baffle was plugged with carbon. The new valve cover has the same size hole. Why can't that hole be enlarged or the valve covers cleaned to eliminate the problem?
I just read there is actually no pcv valve in the Valve cover, just a meter hole in the baffle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts