GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having issues with a 2004 5.3 non AFM engine replacing lifters, after removing the old lifters and cam and cleaning everything [Ive been a certified mechanic for over 40 years now btw] using gm assy lube installed the new gm cam, no problem bu t when i go to install the new lifters [Sealed Power to begin with] the new lifter will only go approx 75% into the bore and stops gets really tight, does this in every lifter bore hole on both sides of the block, and no there is no ridge at the lower end of the lifter bores that i can find seems all smooth, now I have tried several different manufacturers lifters including melling and even GMs redesigned ones, all have been designed with what i call a full skirt design around the roller including gms redesign of 2002 in the same full skirt design, they all do the same thing as to getting stuck approx 75% down into the bore, now all that being said, the original design lifters have what i will refer to as a fork design holding the rollers, meaning the rollers are open on both front and back side of the roller being different from what i call the full skirt design which incases 90% of the roller, I have 2 questions now that i have explained the situation, 1 anyone else run into this, Approx 210k on the engine, and 2 possible might be able to us a hone to clean up the bores further? or have any recommendations, now also engine is still in the vehicle, 2004 Avalanche 2wd, Thanks

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
My suggestion would be to use a micrometer to check lifter skirt dimensions from the old to the new. Perhaps a machine shop could give some advice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts