GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 has had some issues with the oil pressure lately. Whenever it’s started up it is very dry and loud, the link is when I haven’t driven it in 2 days. It won’t sound as bad if it was only 1 day and it’s not noticeable to a regular start up if it’s been multiple times in 1 day (the cluster also said “low oil pressure” when I started it in the video, it’s happened 2 other times in the last 6 weeks). The 2nd issue is low idle oil pressure. It will stay just a notch over 20 for a the pressure and will recently never go over 40 while driving. It’s not something I’m surprised about. It leaks from the front crank seal, rear main, and oil pan (known locations & I will eventually get around to those). The leaks are manageable, I make sure it doesn’t get too low. What might cause the pressure to be low and for the start ups to be like that? My guess is the oil pump is going bad, but I’m only 23 so I’m not the most knowledgeable yet. I still drive it about 200 miles a week, mainly to tow my 6x10 trailer and because I like the ride better than my other 2 cars. Any info helps, thank you

·
Registered
16,236 Posts
Are you using synthetic oil and a good synthetic oil filter?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
your engine on a cold start has lifter ticks. now your engine has 350K miles on it ? that is normal... you should be using 5-30wt synthetic oil and use wix/purolator/napa gold filters ...
If your using conventional oils my suggestion is use marvel mystery oil 4-5 OZ. in the engine oil. then if the noise goes away , then you have sludge in the crankcase.... run it 200-300 miles then change the oil and use synthetic with my approved oil filters..

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
350k miles is awesome. Keep us posted what you find out that was causing the low oil pressure.

·
Registered
16,236 Posts
"very dry and loud" sounded like oil draining off the moving parts; but most oils and especially synthetic won't drain off in 2 bays, must be something else causing the noise.
The leaks aren't your problem as long as you keep the pan filled.
I had the low oil pressure message one morning, it was a few months after I had changed the oil. And I had noticed the idle pressure was a little lower the normal.
At that change, I was in a hurry and the store didn't have my usual filter, I grabbed a different one and changed the oil.
My oil pressure message was due to the filter, I installed my usual filter and the message never came back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
your engine on a cold start has lifter ticks. now your engine has 350K miles on it ? that is normal... you should be using 5-30wt synthetic oil and use wix/purolator/napa gold filters ...
If your using conventional oils my suggestion is use marvel mystery oil 4-5 OZ. in the engine oil. then if the noise goes away , then you have sludge in the crankcase.... run it 200-300 miles then change the oil and use synthetic with my approved oil filters..
Since I use synthetic, how should I try to pinpoint the problem?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went and got the napa gold filter along with 5 qt of their full synthetic 5w30 and 1 qt of some Lucas Oil additive. I told the guy that it was having very dry starts and this is what he recommended. I’m going do a change in about an hour or so

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I had to use marvel mystery oil 4-5 OZ in my 1983 V8 GM sedan . I used castrol conv engine oil 10-30wt. I owned it original . had 375K miles on it .. no engine issues I had to replace the water pump and alternator 200K miles. I change the oil 4,000 miles and the oil drops 1/3-1/2 qt. sold it 17yrs old ..guy loved it ... seats are very comfortable..
well now I only use synthetic 5-30 wt on my new vehicles . alcohol in the gas creates sludge in the conv oil.. that is why we have to use synthetic oil. when I change my oil the oil looks like new.. when I remove the oil fill cap no goop clean.. my 2000 silverado had conventional oil in it OEM factory.. my engine had ticks and engine knocks on cold start.
so I change the oil to synthetic and added MMO oil 5 OZ and the engine had no noises on the cold start.. then 5,000 miles on it for the oil change I did not add MMO ... then the engine had no noises because the MMO is a detergent that cleans up the goop / sludge....
I use MMO in my boat/lawn mower/and sometimes add it in the vehicles to protect the injectors and GM used steel gas lines that rust up ...I use 1 OZ in 10 gallons of gas... cleans and lubes fuel pump/injectors/carb/protects steel gas lines.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
in the first week the oil level was still under of what it normally was, but after that it’s stayed consistently at normal level so it seems to have worked

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
on old hi mile vehicles many will have an additive to fix the goop in the engine. I posted before and others put the MMO in the engine oil and the engine ticking is fixed many fixed it ..
if many go to an oil change shop they drain it in 5min.. I drain it for 30MIN on my GM engines..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.