GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now im livin the dream playin in the sandbox (iraq) lol and Im lookin to add some performance mods to the truck when i get home. But im new to the 5.3. So im looking to see what kind of mods yall have done that would give me good gains in HP and TQ?

I already have a K&N Intake. ( I plan on adding duals, would the true duals gain more power?)

Here are some mods I have been looking into, but arnt sure if they will give me good gains?

Hypertech Programer
All new Exhaust System (headers back)
High Performance Plugs/wires

So please feel free to leave me some advice on the items listed above and also give me any new advice on other items or specific items that can help me with good gains!:fighting0072:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Sounds like you've got some great ideas already! Another idea is an aftermarket MAF sensor. I've heard of people getting some noticeable gains from those, and some added MPG.

So far, I've also got a K&N on my 5.3 and plan some similar mods that you listed. I'm also planning on switching over to synthetic oil soon. I don't really expect anything as far as hp or torque gains, but I've heard it makes the engine run alot better. Some of the other guys will surely have more ideas as well!

Thank you so much for your service and God bless!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Sounds like you have the same list that most of us have considered. To go much further I'd mention the remote mounted turbo charger (mounts in the exhaust system, under the truck). Thanks for your service and get home ASAP!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where can i find this remote mounted turbo charger?

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
This question came up a couple of days ago and the mfg. is: SQUIRES, I think. Here is a quote from that original post:
STS (Squires) is a great turbo system for a street driven truck and would certainly get you around 300hp. The mountng location for the turbo near the rear wheels. They suffer some from turbo lag but when it starts producing boost it comes on like a freight train. I've driven a few of their vehicles and I was impressed. If you decide on an STS system tho I recommend you buy the optional air intake diverter, I've seen a few of the STS turbos take in water and the filter is always extremely dirty.
For the goal you have in mind this may be the best option to achieve it.
I hope this helps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Im right now doing the same thing with my 02 Silverado 5.3 im putting in a k and n intake, magnaflow dual exhaust, gibson headers, bosch iridium spark plugs , high performance spark plug wires, and a MSD ignition system and a superchips performance tuner to top it all off.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hypertech Programer -OK
All new Exhaust System (headers back) -Excellent
High Performance Plugs/wires -Meh
Supercharger/Turbocharger -Hella hella hell ya!
Custom performance tune -Great
Syn. Oil change -Great

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awesome thanks for the input so far! if anyone has any other items I should look into please let me know! im starting to put the shopping list together now..Hopefully this doesnt break the bank to bad..or I might have to come back to this sh*t hole of a country.. ha

·
Registered
53 Posts
Justin, please post which mods you put on and how it performs. I've also got a 5.3L and I'm heading out to Camp Victory in Oct...so I'll be makin a little coinage to mod my burban. Good luck and stay safe!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course once i get home in Sept its the mods will begin... I see your stationed at wright pat...my hometown is Beavercreek, OH right down the road from there.. have fun @ Camp Victory.. doin 7 months?

·
Registered
53 Posts
6 months, and then I come back to pack out the house and move to Grand Forks, ND. I'm looking forward to it. The person I'm replacing says it's a good job.

Hope you don't have too much longer over there. Come back safe!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
awesome sounds good! yeah im actually almost outta here got right under 50 days until were "supposed" to leave

·
Registered
12 Posts
cats must go

hey i have a 04 with a 5.3 and I gotta tell you man those catalytic converters must go. I didn't know just how restrictive they were, but I did know that I wanted to get rid of them. I wanted high flow cats, but couldn't afford them so I just cut mine off. Doing that took 8/10 of a second off of my quarter mile time. That's a lot. Doing that, you will have to get a custom tune to delete your cats because a programmer won't do it, I'm being charged $200 for a tune.

By the way, I'm in Iraq right now too, at CSC Scania. Good luck be safe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Right now im livin the dream playin in the sandbox (iraq) lol and Im lookin to add some performance mods to the truck when i get home. But im new to the 5.3. So im looking to see what kind of mods yall have done that would give me good gains in HP and TQ?

I already have a K&N Intake. ( I plan on adding duals, would the true duals gain more power?)

Here are some mods I have been looking into, but arnt sure if they will give me good gains?

Hypertech Programer
All new Exhaust System (headers back)
High Performance Plugs/wires

So please feel free to leave me some advice on the items listed above and also give me any new advice on other items or specific items that can help me with good gains!:fighting0072:
Hey Justin - First of all I appreciate your sacrifices. I put 15 in and have made a few myself, but I want you to know I appreciate you!

Now to your truck - I've added some of the mods you've mentioned and can tell you what they've done for me. I have an '04 Silverado Ext Cab, SWB 5.3 V-8. My goal was to make my engine perform better and more efficiently, thus giving me more power when I wanted it, and also better fuel economy when I drive normal, or like my wife. :)
This is the order that I installed/upgraded (which isn't much, but more than stock!)
1. Volant CAI: Once my computer recognized the additional air, I noticed some decent increase above 2500 RPM's. I felt like I initially lost some initial take-off power, but since then I've gotten it all back PLUS. :)
2. Granatelli Mass Airflow Sensor: The MAF made a very noticeable power increase in the lower RPM range (below 3500. In the higher ranges, the power increase wasn't so noticeable - At cruising speeds, when I kick into passing gear, it isnt so noticeable, but from the start or low speeds, when I get on it, I can really tell the difference between before I installed it and after.
3. Hypermax Max Energy E-Con: I went with the E-Con, because I wasn't interested in adjusting shift points, the top speed limiter (and I got it new for $280.00). I programmed the truck, which was simple as pie the same night I changed over the synthetic oil. (Valvoline SynPower). Overall and without a doubt the E-Con gave me more power. More power across the whole spectrum. I have more take off power,more power in mid-range RPM's, and at cruising speeds I have more power. Not like I added a rocket on the tail end of my truck, but a noticeble power difference. I haven't had it on long enough to tell you if the E-Con is helping my fuel economy, but I plan on testing that over the next few tanks of fuel.

My next and probably last upgrade will be a Gibson Sweptside exhaust. I know most folks like the duals and the sound, but after talking some guys at Gibson, they told me that the best performing exhaust for what I'm looking for is their Sweptside model (single tip out one side behind the tire). They've been in the business a lot longer than me, so I trust their judgement - plus that exhaust is actually their least expensive. I've found it for $360.00 including tax and shipping to Texas. You might want to research and see if duals will give you the most horsepower/torque, as opposed to like a 3" single exhaust through a performance muffler. IMO giving up most of your exhaust back pressure gives you more loud sound, but comes at a cost of losing low end power. Before the Army I worked in a muffler shop for several years and sort of experienced this first hand. I'm sure I'll catch some flak over that, oh well, they can argue their point with Mr. Gibson. I'm sure you know that most of the other exhaust manufacturer's have single side exhaust - like Magnaflow, Dynaflow and the others, I've just personally decided on the Gibson, I'm sure they are all good.

You stay safe Justin, and keep us in the loop on how you are doing! Short timer!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the hypertech programmer, the stainless plug wires, platinum +2 plugs, and duals from the cat back, on about the same truck, but I did the MAF sensor as well. Overall the truck went from 14.5 MPG to 17 MPG. Not sure about the HP gains, but it was more than noticeable...

Overall, not too bad to get 17 mpg with the lift and 35's on it. Again,not sure on HP gains, but I cant really tell that I am running the large tires...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the hypertech programmer.
Hey Hutch, which Hypertech do you have? I have the E-Con and I understand that all three models are pretty much the same except the E-Con doesn't have as many features as the Power Programmer III and the Hypertech Max Energy. The Max and E-Con are internet updatable whereas the PPIII is not. I called Hypertech and asked if they would send an update for the PPIII because I was seeing them on Craigslist and eBay for under $100, but he said the software that is has is all its going to have. If for some reason I need the other features, I've read on the manual I can upgrade mine, but I also heard that cost about 100 bucks and would pretty much trash the good deal I got on mine. The E-Con only has one programming mod for gas engines, and like I said above, I did notice a pretty good difference. In fact of all the other mods, I did, the programmer gave me a consistent boost from low RPM to high. Did you get the same result?

I was going to change out my plugs next week with either the Plat 2 like you have or the Iridium, but I haven't done enough research to determine if one is better than the other.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
awesome guys look like ill def look inot a new MAF, and the exhaust is def. on my priority list as soon as I get home...im trying to look into my options...on how much i want into lift and tires and then that will determine hoe much i put into performance...

·
Registered
146 Posts
TX,
I have the max, and from what I understand, it is the same programming across the board, for the PP3, the E-con, and the Max, just that the max allows me to change the tire size, etc., and is updateable. The programming that you have should be the exact same, depending on when you last updated it, just that mine is able to program other options. Also, I didn't notice a big difference until I did the MAF and changed the plugs/wires, then it really took off...

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
TX,
I have the max, and from what I understand, it is the same programming across the board, for the PP3, the E-con, and the Max, just that the max allows me to change the tire size, etc., and is updateable. The programming that you have should be the exact same, depending on when you last updated it, just that mine is able to program other options. Also, I didn't notice a big difference until I did the MAF and changed the plugs/wires, then it really took off...
Here's a link to a thread I posted a while back. I e-mailed a rep from Hypertech asking him the difference between the Max and the E-Con:

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13463

1 - 20 of 25 Posts