GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 Burb ahs been having some problems. I ~think~ I've about got it all sorted, but I have this head-scratcher: The O-ring/gasket for the air intake plenum to the throttle body is cracked and shot. Since I have it apart, I need to do something about it.

Dealership tells me it's part of the assembly (of course) and clocks out at around $125!!! I don't freeking think so.

I'm planning just to re-enforce it with some RTV, let it dry and put it back on. Anyone have a better suggestion or fix for this? I can't believe they would make a gasket that can't be replaced...OK, yeah, I can; I'm just hopeful someone has a work-around for this bit of Engineered Idiocy.

Here's what I'm yapping about: The orange ring is what I need to replace.

Top side for reference:

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet. I have concluded it is not leaking right now, so I'm just not worrying about it. I'll mess with it once I get my fuel pump replaced. That way I don't confuse symptoms of different problems.

Thought about the O ring matchup. This one is an odd square profile, but all it does is seal off air leaks, so it's not rocket science. I can just imagine the looks I'll get trying to match it up tho! ~LOL~ Probably be like the time I needed bolts for my 3rd row seat so I loaded it on a cart and off to the bolt isle at Lowes! 'twas fun!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know about Lowes, but Home Depot's bolts are junk. Very cheap Chinese garbage. Ace is the place for fasteners. Actually I've really grown to love ace. Good service in everyone I have been to, people actually know about their department and are very helpful, plus the selection is great. alright, I'll stop spamming Ace Hardware now, LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Old topic same problem. I have a 99 Suburban with the 5.7 Vortec. I am getting a lean condition code on OBD. I checked the air duct downstream of the MAF and it was leaking all around the joint between the air duct and the aluminum throttle body. The gasket is stiff and not sealing. The GM part number which is no longer made and no one was begun making one aftermarket is 15713884.

My solution was to go to my local hydraulic seal distributor and get three 3-5/8 OD by 1/8 inch square seals and superglue them together. They will take up the same space as the old gasket and should seal far better. I still need to smoke test again, hoping I fixed that leak at least.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Motor City Rick,
I believe Gryphon is looking for the seal that goes between the plastic air duct and the top of the throttle body. You are correct about the seal that goes underneath the throttle body being as you have shown.

My solution was to buy three Nitrile 3-5/8 OD by 1/8 inch square seals and superglue them one atop the other . I got them at my hydraulic seal distributor, H&D distributing here in Dallas. Their part number is 391-2884-019.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Gryphon would have to give me a good quality picture of what the part is actually.

Something doesn't sound right??? A seal for $125???

·
Registered
4 Posts
The part Grypnon is talking about is 15998532 looks like this https://www.quirkparts.com/oem-parts/gm-adapter-15998532. No longer available and has a proprietary seal between duct and throttle body. The seal is the orange ring you see in the round opening. The seal part number is 15713884. I really wonder why Dorman or somebody hasn't figured out an aftermarket part for this yet. Vehicles will not pass emissions test without a good seal there because of fuel trim / lean condition issues.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
The part Grypnon is talking about is 15998532 looks like this https://www.quirkparts.com/oem-parts/gm-adapter-15998532. No longer available and has a proprietary seal between duct and throttle body. The seal is the orange ring you see in the round opening. The seal part number is 15713884. I really wonder why Dorman or somebody hasn't figured out an aftermarket part for this yet. Vehicles will not pass emissions test without a good seal there because of fuel trim / lean condition issues.
I see a ton of these in the salvage yard, or you could just make one out of flat rubber gasket material. It wont take much to seal this area. As you tighten down the plastic wing nut that holds the plastic feed tube to the throttle body, this pulls the tapered tabs down also, making for a good tight seal. I have 265,000 miles on mine, and its still good, so chances are you can find a good one in the salvage yard. I would just get the whole cup assembly that the gasket is in, simple, easy, swap, and your done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts