GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that there is a known issue with the 5.7 L engine.

Around 75,000 miles on the origional gasket it might start leaking. A lot of people have it leak early and have them replaced under warranty. Chevy has since improved the gasket design.

Should I stay away from Felpro? How about the ultra Gray gasket seal? Anyone have any input on this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I might have this issue. I'll post it in its own thread also to see if anyone knows about it.

I have been hearing a noise from the engine of my Tahoe for the past week. Sounds like a flat tire hitting the pavement over and over when you're under the hood, and from the inside it almost sounds like a chirping or sipping sound.

It sounds like an exhaust leak that is from the intake manifold somewhere. It's coming from the driver-side intake, right below the TB/Intake mating surface. Could be a bad gasket?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Meathead, I'm assuming you are talking about the intake manifold gasket. Mine held up to about 150,000, so I feel luck after reading many posts about this. Leak shows itself at the rear of the engine as a coolant leak.

I replaced with a Felpro kit. Had the help of a mechanic friend. Job took about 5.5 hours, probably would have been more like 8 if I done it on my own. Having the correct tools really helped in two places, removing one of the pulleys, and resetting the timing, which can only be done correctly with a diagnostic computer.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
That's got to be the intake manifold gasket. I've read that there were problems on several years with the factory gasket. I've not heard of a known problem with other ones like the head or valve cover or pan gasket, just the intake..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Those gaskets usually begin leaking around 75,000 or so. If you do it yourself, 2 words of advice. Corteco gaskets and ultra gray. Corteco is a superior product to Felpro. Corteco is the original Chevy gasket division of General Motors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hed my intakes go at about 80,000, took it in and shop did it in a bout 4hrs. but they're real good with those gaskets, ( that shop gets a lot of intakes)

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
4 hours of labor, at what $70/hour?

It's been a while since I've had to replace anything like that. I live in rented space right now, no room for a project like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
99 Tahoe with problems

I think I now know why my Tahoe starts miss firing when going up steep hills. Runs fine otherwise but I have noticed my coolant disappearing and pressure test showed no leaks.

My question for the group:
Is GM stepping up on this issue? obviously a serious defect.
If DEXCOOL is the problem, should I use something else before my engine rots away?

Thinking of joining the class action suit if dexcool is the cause.
Anyone know more about this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2000 tahoe 5.3ltr dtc P0404-HELP!

I have replaced the egr valve 2 times in the last 2 months. Still get the dtc p0404. I have checked the egr tube for clogs. No clogs. What else could this be? COuld it be the intake gaskets? How could I check this? The truck runs perfect no matter what. Truck has 94k on it now. Does anyone know if this truck has a DPFE sensor? Please help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts