GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the stock 5 speed from a 1992 4.3 bolt up to a v8.....By v8 i mean will it fit a 350 and will it fit the newer ls type engines like the 5.3

Is the bell housing different....and is the input shaft different...also what about the clutch

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure what all it will directly bolt to and what engines you would need a different bellhousing, but I've been researching a t56 swap for my truck. From what I hear, those 5 speeds that are behind the 4.3 and 4.8 have pretty low power handling. Maybe fine behind a bone stock 350, but much more and it might decide to blow up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It should, in theory, since the 4.3 is just a 350 with the last two cylinders cut off. It's basically the same engine as the 350, just two cylinders short. So I've been told.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
It will for sure bolt directly to the 350/305 engine, since in the 1/2ton variation they used the same tranny for those engines. As to the newer LS Series motor i believe the newer Vortec trannies are the same between the 4.3L and 4.8L however you will need the wiring for a manual tranny if you are swapping over from an auto to a manual.

·
Registered
177 Posts
go with a t56 its supposed to a be a strait swap with no change in drive shaft, you will need the clutch and brake parts from a manual truck

·
Registered
13,859 Posts
You need a different bell housing, the LS uses one more bolt that the older style small blocks.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I have heard that people are leaving that bolt out without any problems. it's the very top, right Ray? Are the dowels pins the same?

I truly have no idea but I think it's a big job. However anything can be done with lots of money and time.

Al

·
Registered
13,859 Posts
Al, I am sure you can leave that bolt out, yes it is the top one, I don't know about the alignment pins, they are probably ok as well;

I would guess the transmission is a NV3500, this is a one piece case and the bell housing is part of the pour.

The NV3500 probably won't stand up to the torque from the bigger LS engines; but it could be used behind the torque of the 4.8.

But, it is my understanding that the bell housing isn't deep enough if you use factory 4.8 parts (flywheel, throw out bearing) an older 4.3 style clutch must be used.
However, recognizing the need, special parts are available from hotrod shops.

Reactions: thegawd
1 - 9 of 9 Posts