GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a continuation to a post I began earlier located in the tire and wheel section (6 to 8 lug conversion)that was dropted. I just purchased a used 91 silverado 1500 4x4 extended cab,turns out the transmission only engajed reverse, 1st and second and then no third,its would just rev after second.So after allot of thinking decided to fix it my self. I removed the tranny and turns out it was rebuilt not too long ago.(missing parts and some kind of red sealant brushed everywhere.) My budjet is very limited so I went in search of a replacement at a local wrecking yard, took advantage of the 50% off sale weekend.After looking around for a while I found a 2wheel drive 700r4 in a 92 blazer.I removed it and brought it home along with the toque converter. I opened it and proceeded to tear down and everything looked in good condition.I removed the housing with the speedometer.And measured both tranny cases,they were same length.I knew that the output shaft had to be replaced with the shorter one from the original .So i proceded very carefully removed valve body assembly ,paying close attention not to disconnect separator plate from valve body and loose check balls.(dont have a book).the hardest part was installing the band around the input clutch housing. I plan on installing it tomorrow and will post results.Im confident everything will work, i rebuilt few transmissions before ,I just refuse to be intimidated .

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The little engine that could.

:yipi::yipi:Wow! I'm impressed. It takes guts to dive in head first. Let us know how it turns out. :yipi::yipi:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
You GO Bobby! It sounds like you are taking on a big project with authority! Good luck to you and let us know the end result.:great:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sweet victory

yesterday I installed tranny ,but before I did ,I had to drill out broken bolt in the exhaust manifold ,figured it would be easier to do before tranny installation.The person who previously R&Rd the tranny must of been responsible.I did not finish yesterday because I had to take my son to football practice.I used the red high temp RTV silicone gasket maker to seal the transfer case to tranny. That is the best stuff.No leaks yay!!
Today I installed drivelines, torque converter bolts,and cover. Found out that the bell housing on the blazer tranny is a litle diferent(2 threaded ear tabs holes missing ) in that the torque converter cover uses 6 mounting bolts and now it only needs 4, still works fine I dont plan on doing extreme off roading.Also had to swap linkage bracket on the side of the tranny.Filled transfer case and transmission. I went for test drive and every gear shift was smooth , no leaks. Now I have 2 remaining bolts(no big deal) and internals from original and long output shaft from blazer tranny.There is a sertain satisfaction a man gets from doing things himself as oposed to paying someone else.Im so proud .

One man beleives he can and another beleives he can't, Both are correct ....What you beleive to be true in your mind will become reality.Never give up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pictures

here is a picture of the original 700r4 4x4 outputshaft .

here is the other outputshaft for non 4x4.its longer and would not work with the transfer case.

here is a pic of the original 4x4 case notice the 3 holes on each side, for the torque converter cover. could only use the lower 4 on other case, no big deal.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Good job Bobby!:party:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
same problem again!

Well the transmission only lasted less than 100 miles ,now I go fix .I have purchased some stuff from ebay and I will again tackle this project.Purchased a rebuild kit and book .I will be posting pics and step by step.Transmission is only getting 1st and second no third just slips and revs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finished rebuild 700r4.

I pulled the transmission and forward input drum 3/4 clutch was FUBAR.No suprise there.I completely tore down transmission and took my parts to a friendly neighborhood tranny shop.The guys there were glad to help.The owner let me use his spring compressor to remove clip for the input drum and reverse piston @ the bottom of the case.He also washed all the parts for me in hot parts cleaner.
I have rebuilt transmissions before and had success but that was like 15years ago .The automatic transmission phase at UTI was by far the hardest to pass. I kind of got the impression that the guys at the transmission shop were testing me to see if I knew what I was doing.The owner of the shop was skeptical .
The most critical part of rebuilding is clutch clearances and the careful installation of the forward drum seals along with pump rebuild and valve body.I knew all this and sience it had been such a long time sience I rebuilt a tranny, I purchased a DVD from technical video on the 700r4 to help (Ebay).
I air tested my reverse piston in the case and forward clutch pack , this is very important.If you have leaks here you better fix before the install.
I completely dissassembled pump and valve body cleaned and replaced old with new parts.I had transmission shop flush torque converter and i also flushed cooller lines.
torquing valve body is also critical.Also made sure the TCC lockup occurs .THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS TRANSMISSION IS THE CORRECT ADJUSTMENT OF THE TV CABLE!!!!"The TV cable used with the 4L60 transmission should not be thought of an automatic downshift cable. The TV cable used on the 4L60 controls line pressure, shift points, shift feel, part throttle downshifts and the detent downshifts. The function of the cable is similar to the combined functions of a vacuum modulator and a detent cable."Here is the link cover every thing http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.html
Sorry no pics this time ,you know how it is with ATF(not to be confused with the Alcohol Tobbacco & Firearms)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts