GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm new here. I hope to get some great networking here.
I just bought a '75 K5 Blazer. I drove it for about a week and it ran great, then it started getting a popping or backfire through the carb. It idles fine. When I blip the throttle hard or run it at 2500rpm and above it starts popping constantly. This is a reman 5.7l with a 1406 Eldelbrock 4bbl.
What I've done:
Replaced timing gears and chain.
New plugs
New cap, rotor and coil.
I've checked the compression. 150psi across the board.
Vacuum reads 15+ inches at idle. At 2500rpm the needle flutters a little.
I looked at it at night and no light show.
I have taken one plug wire off at a time to see if it was a particular cylinder, but it still popped.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Sounds like the timing is off, could be only a tooth or two since the truck seems to be running fine otherwise.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Timing is advanced to much.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both mechanical and ignition timing are dead nuts.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
It may be running a little bit lean. Did you replace the fuel filter? Is it the stock jetting for the carb?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The #2 exhaust valve is not opening all the way, looks like a bad cam...

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
sounds like an excuse for a bigger better cam :money:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're right. If I can figure out the head and block casting numbers on this re-man motor and size the cam appropriately...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhh! I pulled the intake off, removed the push rods, then rotated the motor. Sure enough, the lifter was not coming up as high as the other exhaust lifters. I continued to pull out the cam and now I'm buffaloed. The lobe on the cam is not worn. So I stuck it back in to make sure I saw what I saw. The lifter is not coming up as much as the other exhaust lifters. The #2 lifter is the exact same height as the others. I'm missing something, but don't know what.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
check the rods and maybe even the rocker arms. There's got to be some foul play in there somewhere.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good Lord, I am such a dummy. I was driving to the parts store to look at a new cam, when I realized that the cylinders are offset and I was looking at the wrong lobes on the camshaft. The lobe for #2 cylinder was worn so smooth and round that I thought it was a bearing surface. I'm such a rookie, a lesson very well learned. Got all my new parts and will be driving with the top down by tomorrow. The parts guy sold me oil for a diesel for the break-in. Sound right?
Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lets keep it simple! You said it DID run fine when you bought it? It just started..Right?
Check the timing. Its earsy and fast. Probably OK ..I didnt read hearing a engine clatter or knock on accel.
Unless you know someone that can Rebuild your aftermarket carb. Buy a new one! Sounds like your starving fuel when you open the secondarys (the 4-barrel) Causing a lean out Back fire.
Also check the mechanical advance weights under your rotor...They stick with Old age!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts