GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 Suburban 3/4 ton that starts okay when its cold, but yesterday after I an a short errand in cold weather, I get back in the truck and it wont even crank or click. I fooled around for 15-20 minutes checking fuses, then turned the wheel straight thinking maybe it was something in the ignition column wiring, and whammy, it cranks right up. Then, I drive it the 3 minutes back home, park it, and try to start it again. And Its dead again.
I havent been out today to try it, but I wouldnt be surprised if it cranks.

????

The battery is strong, and the lights dim when I turn the key (which apparently shows the current hitting the solenoid).

After doing a little research, Things seem to point to a few things:

1. Starter Relay is acting up (at times??)
2. Old wiring not giving starter enough juice to kick in (at times??)
3. Hot-sticky starter that will have to rebuilt/replaced.
4. Funky short in wiring in ignition wiring harness

Any thoughts??

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
RE: 87 GMC Starts normally, then later im stuck in the cold!

Just check all connections from battery to starter, make sure they are tight and clean.

If still no joy take starter to be tested, they will test starter and selonoid at the same time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: 87 GMC Starts normally, then later im stuck in the cold!

Cool- I will get out there this weekend when it warms up a bit. Still havent had our first snow here in Maryland, but I want her to be ready when it hits, since this is my first winter with her. I have christened her the "Big Easy". Her indian name would have been "Floating Mammoth."

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
If you are running headers, it could be overheating your starter which must cool off before it will work again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.