GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a new user and I really hope this works for me because I am stumped with a problem I am having.

I have a 1987 GMC Suburban and it has NEVER given me a lick of trouble and NEVER left me stranded. Until recently..... it has never had a problem starting in the morning, but when it gets going and the engine gets warm and I shut it off (like to fillup with gas or something) it will not start again, it acts like the battery is dead, but as soon as I hook up the jumper cables to another vehicle, my "ol' red" fires right up again! I did have a friend replace the battery recently while I was out of town, and I think that it might be a little small, could this be the cause?

Any Ideas??????

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Take the starter off and bring it to a local parts store and have it tested it may be shot, sometimes after they warm up the starter gets hot and needs just a little more juice to turn the beast over.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Check both of the battery cables. If they are worn at all, replace them. My 78 pickup is doing the same thing. I replaced the negative cable (because it is the easiest to get to) and the problem got better, but is still there. I will be replacing the positive cable in the near future. Dollars to donuts this is your problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Along with the other replies I will say this. On GM's with the Starter Solenoid attached to the starter, as they get older they will build resistance in the coils due to extreme heat(sits right next to the exhaust log/header), contacts will carbon up and won't make a good circuit. If you have access to a CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) fire extinguisher, put it in your car, and when the car won't start, shoot a 10-15 second blast directly on the starter from REAL CLOSE RANGE(6-12 inches). This cools down the case, and the wiring, causing resistance to drop, and allowing you to start your car.

Fortunately YOU can fix this easily. Pull the starter, disconnect the solenoid from the starter, and open the solenoid up. Using a wirebrush on a drill, clean all the contacts to bright metal (this includes all the thru bolt heads AND the disc. Re-assemble and get a starter shield from Parts America/Autozone/where ever you get your parts. This will keep your starter from overheating and causing the problem you're having. While you have the starter out, replace the brushes, and the bendix drive. make sure the number of teeth on the bendix gear match.

Larry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Starting problems

Its the heat from the exhaust alright. Another fix is to mount a ford style solenoid on the iner fender or firewall and wire. Used to do this to all my chevy hot rods to stop the problem. You leave the old solenoid mounted to the starter but the juice just passes straight through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.