GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cliffs at bottom

Just got this as a second vehicle. I can't take my dogs in my other car and needed something for camping/towing. I got it and the thing purred like a kitten (ok a more like a Lion with thos eflowmasters) Was running PERFECT. I took the dogs to the beach and let them body surf and swim for a while. Then I decide to go to the car wash and clean her up. Everything was all good until I decided to wash the motor :eek:. Now I have washed my suby motor at leasy 5 times and no issues. I make sure not to spray the alternator or sensors too much everything has been honkey dory. Well not with the 454 in 87 Burban. I killed something electronic.

After I washed it it didn't want to turn all the way over. I kept trying as I knew it had juice (the windows worked and the radio played with no problems) and finally after 20 tries it starts and I go 3 bocks down and two over tot he local store to get soem bleach.

After I come out it won't start, just the solenoid clicking. Someone jumps me and I run fine. I run it on the freeway trying to recharge the system and dry stuff out. I get back around my house and try to use the electronics (windows) and it almost kills the motor.

So I park it and let it run for a while. It had problems idling and if I even opened the door the light would come on and the motor would stutter. It finally just turned off. Tried it this mornign and the solenoid was clicking like it had regained some power just sitting over night because after it shut off the solenoid wouldn't even click last night nor the windows move and they did this morning.

It only has 5 electronic pieces so it shouldn't be too hard fingering this one out. I have a second battery and I am going to barrow a voltmeter and maybe take off the alternator and batt and have Kragen test them. I think I killed the solenoid though. Just need to find that one (the one electronic piece I have yet to locate). My guess is I screwed that up and also the piece by the distributer in the rear of the motor that controls the electronic igniotion?

Me and my cleaning old ish, I shoulda known better. :(

Anyone have experience with this type of beast and feel like throwing this dog a bone?

Cliffs: New to me 87 Burban 454, was fine, washed motor now having starting/electrical issues.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
FYI solenoid location

I think I killed the solenoid though. Just need to find that one (the one electronic piece I have yet to locate).
As you can see in the image the solenoid is on the starter.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Just a loose wire on the solenoid will do what you are talking about. Get under there and wiggle the wire at the solenoid.

If it is loose, just tighten it. I have come across this problem before on other vehicles.

PS

I have an 86 Burb with the 350, I really can’t get rid of, wife won’t let me.

PSS

Unplugged where do you get the great schematics, I try and take pictures of my manuals and they never come out that good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well tried a new battery and took of the alternator and it tested good. I will go check to solenoid wire. I have located the starter. Where is the solenoid, right on it, or next to it attached to the starter?

Also when it is working I would get voltage on the meter of almost 14, then it goes away and all the gauges act funny and it starts draining the bat. Like my gas goes to 1/16 of a tank my power goes to 0, my OP goes to 35, my speedo acts jumpy and funny. Then it will run until it's killed all the juice. So now it starts with a charged batt, but will not recharge the system.

I think where they (Kragen) tested the bat they were wrong because they said it woudn't hold a charge but I took it home and charged it and now it starts the truck. But they said the alt was good and just everything points to it as the culprit. I have taken out the fuse for the brake assist as I thought that might be it. Also enginine timing or whatever fuse was burnt out, they used a 15amp and it called for a 20amp. Back to square 1.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PS other than ther trouble I have created with the electronics I love this thing. Dark blue, Boyd Coddington chrome wheels, lowered 2", racing front seats and racing steering wheel (previous owner but I like!). It's in excellent cond with all power windows and locks working, even the AC and rear. Got if for $,1300 w 154k on it from a co-worker moving out of state and not wanting to take their 3rd vehicle.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Alternator test

The truck only uses the battery for starting. Try this shade-tree test for the alternator: Start the truck then disconnect the positive terminal at the battery. If the truck still runs the alternator is charging, if not I'd replace it. (This test does not work for all vehicles, but is ok for this case)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Schematic info

Unplugged where do you get the great schematics, I try and take pictures of my manuals and they never come out that good.
If you register at the AutoZone website, they do have repair info for many vehicles including schematics.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Schematics.

If you register at the AutoZone website, they do have repair info for many vehicles including schematics.
Oh ya, I was on there and had them saved on favorites on my old computer but lost them when I got the new one late last tear.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
isolated

Autozone is American only. I feel so isolated up here.
You are, there is no reason to live that far north of the equator. LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The truck only uses the battery for starting. Try this shade-tree test for the alternator: Start the truck then disconnect the positive terminal at the battery. If the truck still runs the alternator is charging, if not I'd replace it. (This test does not work for all vehicles, but is ok for this case)
It was the alternator. I charged the bat overnight like I said and drove it the next day. Went and checked it that night and it started. Tried this morning and it ran like a champ, that is until I unplugged the positive battery cable. It shut right off. Time to get a new alternator.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Fyi

It was the alternator. I charged the bat overnight like I said and drove it the next day. Went and checked it that night and it started. Tried this morning and it ran like a champ, that is until I unplugged the positive battery cable. It shut right off. Time to get a new alternator.
btw, This test does not eliminate the voltage regulator, so on older vehicles with a separate voltage regulator you would have to test that as well. Most newer vehicles (including GM) use an integral voltage regulator and alternator.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Know when to fold 'em

Aces again! Every time I go all in with those someone flops a set!:eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Just found out the bad news. Krangen wants a buck and a half ($150) for a replacement and $130 with the core.

Time to shop online or pick one used and take my chances. That is a lot for a second vehicle I just paid $1300 for. Plus I already bought a $75 battery and a $35 charger because they (Kragen Employee) told me my other bat was dead.

Now I have 4 batteries! 2 for my Subaru STi and 2 for my Burban. :( Anyone have any online dealers that are inexpensive and you trust?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts