GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum, mostly for selfish purposes...but glad to join nonetheless.

My searches (granted, I'm not exactly web-savvy) have lead nowhere. I'm trying to find out if there are any people who have converted the standard late-80's leaf spring suspension for 4x4 suburbans to a coil-spring/linkage suspension, as that of Jeep's recent quadra-coil, or even a coil/air suspension.....something that eliminates the leaf springs altogether.

Any answers, links, or...if it hasn't been tried yet, anyone who has had the same idea with the means to do it, would be greatly appreciated!

I'd like to keep this thread progressive; Please refrain from denouncing the idea for liability/fiscal/diehard alumni reasons...unless you'd like to point out any engineering/design disadvantage viewpoints that I may try to deliniate.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Easter week at Moab 2 years ago I saw an 84 K1500 Suburban on coils, one of the Off-road magazines was doing an article about it. I dont remember which magazine (most of them have searcheable websites so that might be a start point).
The owner fabbed a 5 link set-up front and rear. Not sure what coils were used. The coils were assisted with Air Ride Technology valves, Firestone 500C air bags, a VIA air compressor, and a 5 gallon air tank.
The factory axles were replaced, dont remember exactly but I think they used Dana 60's.
The truck towed a 28' camping trailer from somewhere on the east coast to Moab and back, it wasnt only a rock crawler it could function well at other duties.
At this time there arent any manufacturers building coil kits for Suburbans.
Try calling Justin the owner of "Rock Tec" in Grapevine, TX. He owns and built a 454 powered 4x4 VW bug with full coil suspension. He's fabbed more than a few solid axle swaps incorporating coil spring systems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts