GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 84 suburban, 454 carburated 4WD that runs great, but the body and interior are shot. Recently came across a 91 that was wrecked, but the body form the front doors back are in excellent shape, both outside and interior. I figured at a minimum I could swap the intererior (seats, carpet, door panels, etc.) How difficult is it to simply swap the entire body from the front doors back?

Seems like the hardest part will be the electrical?

Any comments, suggestions, recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
IIRC the front end from a pre 88 won't fit on a newer style. The interior should work fine, and some of the panels may interchange as well.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
91 and 84 Suburbans are Square bodies so the front will fit. Lots of people use the 91 Suburban front end to update their earlier model trucks. The frames are the same and a swap should be no problem. Make sure you have a big lift available. I used a forklift for the old body and a rolling hoist frame for the new body when I did a body swap on a 96 I used to have.
You'll need to carry over most if not all of the engine and dash wiring harness from the 84. Not sure how much will match up. Make sure you disconnect the fuel tank refueling tube, that seems to be the most forgottan item when lifting a body from the frame.
I also recommend stripping the interior (seats, carpet, center console) before moving the bodies.
This is a big job but can be done in 1 day (minus any engine wiring you may need to customize). Get plenty of help when the time comes to swap the bodies. If I remember correctly without the front sheet metal on theres only 6 or 8 body mount bolts, the engine to firewall wire harness, a few stray wires and grounds running between body and frame underneath, the "E" brake cable, the brake booster and lines, the speedo cable, the transmission shift linkage, and the refueling tube.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's right the trucks changed before the 'burbans did.

Sorry...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts