GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello my good fellows.
Just joined the site because I've spent several nights searching the internet for information about my recent truck purchase.
Apologies in advance for such a lengthy first post.
I'm reaching out for help now because all my searching through forum links in my google searches come up dead or just not addressing my issues. I've read a LOT these past few days, but still don't have the answers I seek.
Someone on here knows what to tell me. This I know. So here goes.
I know this is a transmission section and my post is primarily about the tranny, however i have another issue which may be also related.
As the title says, I have bought a 1991 Chevy K2500 4X4. Issues I knew about were the need of a brake caliper on passenger side. Turns out it needed a CV shaft and a new rotor to boot. Both were tore up. Caliper non existent. It'sthe 8200 GVW model with 8 lugs.
So with the intro over so to speak, on to the trans issue.
Upon finding the SES bulb removed I discovered I had DTC code 59. Trans oil temp too low, voltage high. This accompanied code 21 . Now 21 only manifested itself when I found that moving my wiring above the engine around the TPS and Temp sensor made the engine surge and almost die, every time I would wiggle them. I redid my ground there which seemed to solve the wiggly wooz so to speak. During that wiggling I had removed the Temp sensor connector to check it out for voltage and ground. Test was good. 5 volts and ground continuity. I have since found that when I open my door and the courtesy lights come on, my engine bogs down and tries to stall. INSIGHT PLZ? I'm sure that's a ground issue somewhere. Where tho?
So I went about diagnosing y code 59 by tracing the wires down along the transmission. Being unfamiliar with transmissions entirely I was just using my electronics knowledge looking for a purple ground wire for the trans temp sender to test for continuity. Up until this time I had never been under a 4 wheel drive vehicle. What a setup. Impressive indeed. Anyways after removing about 6 foot of electrical tape I found that the transmission plug has been spliced together. All sticky and gooey from the tape and mud. Dried mud everywhere, dropping in my eyes and stuff. Safety glasses on from then on. Well I found that pink wire to be disconnected from the crimp connector. I reconnected with a new connector temporarily for time sake. Sprayed the connector clean with some wd40 and wiped it down repeatedly until I could read the connection terminal letters. I plug back in and fire up the truck. A couple of minutes of running and I shut her down to read if code still there. Now I have codes 59, 81 and 82. 21 is gone because coolant temp sensor is plugged back in and apparently functional.
Could the other codes be from plugging in the connector wet with WD40? Insight plz.
While under the truck I also found 2 other connectors on the drivers side of the trans, one low and one high above the grey multi-tap plug, both 2 prong pig-tails. One has the wires broken and chewed apart. This has a light blue with white stripe and a white with what looks like pink stripe and looks like it's been disconnected for a while.
When I drove the truck home it drove and shifted well, however the shifts from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 were really firm. Didn't notice if it shifted to fourth or not because I took it slow with the caliper missing. Was a short drive home with only pulling on heavier braking. That's all superficial at the moment. I did what I had to do. I've drove with issues similar before to get home.
Back to the transmission connector. This connector is not the typical one for a 91. It is apparently the one for a 94 and up? According to my research it is anyway. Obviously I need to look for some kind of marking on the trans to identify it. Could it be a 94 or newer installed?
Also on the passenger side of it there is a single prong wire connector that goes to nothing. It looks damaged and I can't see anywhere to plug it in if I renew the connector. Insight plz.
I plan to cut and re-splice the transmission multi-connector with soldered connections and shrink tube, but I am clueless to what those 2 upper connections are with the 2 prong pig-tails. I have actually seen a couple of images on Google of transmissions with them on there but no description as to what they are. Looked like they were 4l80e from image descriptions.
If anyone needs any pictures to help what I am describing let me know and I'll take them. I guess I should have done that already but I was so aggravated with the codes I just called it a day at that point and got to Googling.
I appreciate any and all help from you guys.
Again, sorry for such a long post. Just don't know where to turn now except a forum of knowledgeable guys.
My utmost respect
William

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry I put code 21 instead of 15 for Coolant temp sensor. 21 is TPS. I may have had both at one time with unplugging wires when surging and wiggling was happening.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I have a dry 4l80e out in the shop 1996 I will take a picture and post it for you so maybe you can find your connections. Should have it by lunch for you

Yes yours should be the 4l80 being a k2500

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Chester for the info. A comparable picture would be great indeed. I'll be getting out under there when it warms up a bit today. Woke up with a sore and stiff heel this morning for some reason. Got a little limp going on.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you sir. Time was not important. Truck is not going anywhere right now. Indeed those are the connections I was referring to.
I'll Google what they are to save asking unnecessary questions. I knew this forum was going to help me.
Thank you for giving me your valuable time.
On same issue. My trans does not have that long black block on the side. Is that a concern?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
View attachment 62234 View attachment 62234 View attachment 62250 Sorry it took so long but here are a couple of pics hopefully you can make out the wire colors
Thank you sir. Time was not important. Truck is not going anywhere right now. Indeed those are the connections I was referring to.
I'll Google what they are to save asking unnecessary questions. I knew this forum was going to help me.
Thank you for giving me your valuable time.
On same issue. My trans does not have that long black block on the side. Is that a concern?
Thanks
Long black box. Neutral safety switch I would think that with you already driving the truck with out it, must be a non issue in your setup
Google it (4L80E) go to images scroll till you find it then visit that page also good wire diagrams that way

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, truck starts up just fine.
Now I'm wondering how it's rigged up as a bypass.
Have to investigate that.
I'll get back to you on it.
Your info so far has proven invaluable to say the least. The wife is impressed with your quick response. She's a facebook addict. Needs it right there right now.
I'll look through Google images more tomorrow. I have a search open now, but I'm tired. Wife wanted to watch a movie. then she fell asleep.
It's no wonder my searching 4l60e has come up short.
There is however a white half round plastic component laying in, well was laying in the door bin, with 5 terminals. Research tells me it goes on the steering column as a neutral safety switch type thing. didn't look too deep into it except 1 camaro thread the other night. some guy was comparing old to new pin out. Some previous owner must have bought it but didn't use or need it I guess.
I'll try starting in gear tomorrow and post back.
time for bed though for now.
Thanks for all your time so far.
Could I ask for a link to any pics of your Triumph. I remember the TR7 from my younger days as a young Scot. But not a TR6. Triumphs are cool.
Like the Rolls Royce, IMO Triumphs are British Royalty,as is the MG.
Respect
William

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Yeah, truck starts up just fine.
Now I'm wondering how it's rigged up as a bypass.
Have to investigate that.
I'll get back to you on it.
Your info so far has proven invaluable to say the least. The wife is impressed with your quick response. She's a facebook addict. Needs it right there right now.
I'll look through Google images more tomorrow. I have a search open now, but I'm tired. Wife wanted to watch a movie. then she fell asleep.
It's no wonder my searching 4l60e has come up short.
There is however a white half round plastic component laying in, well was laying in the door bin, with 5 terminals. Research tells me it goes on the steering column as a neutral safety switch type thing. didn't look too deep into it except 1 camaro thread the other night. some guy was comparing old to new pin out. Some previous owner must have bought it but didn't use or need it I guess.
I'll try starting in gear tomorrow and post back.
time for bed though for now.
Thanks for all your time so far.
Could I ask for a link to any pics of your Triumph. I remember the TR7 from my younger days as a young Scot. But not a TR6. Triumphs are cool.
Like the Rolls Royce, IMO Triumphs are British Royalty,as is the MG.
Respect
William
Your welcome, the TR6, I have a good picture of it in my photo album, just click on my Avatar and then my photos then the TR, better picture once you click on the small one.

Good luck
Chester

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Did you get back to it Astro?

Next time try using a electrical spray cleaner non conductive and dryes fast. Unlike oil

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
No I didn't yet.
Too much running around today and didn't get home til dark.
I did look at the images you recommended and printed me a schematic for wiring.
I'll pick up a can of that spray. Makes sense.
I think the codes came because of how I sprayed wd40. Gonna clean it all up and blast it with compressed air, solder the splices and see what shakes. Should pan out because only code 59 before meddling.
It's good to now know what I have because I was searching blind.
My rpo codes say it's a 4l60e from recollection. I'll check that out again.
Sorry I am replying so late again. Ended up finishing a movie alone again. Wife fell asleep.
She's suffering from CHF. Poor girl. She's my world.
You're a diamond chester. I might be a couple of days getting til I get back under the truck but I'll update you with my progress/findings.
I'm sure I have a hundred more questions still to ask.
I need to install the rotor, caliper and CV axle in the morning. Have everything loose ready to go.
Supposed to be pretty cold. Gonna feel good.
Respects.
William

Edit....I looked at TR6. NICE.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Thanks on the TR6 Pretty cool car straight 6 dual stromberg carbs electronic od that you use in any gear, bought it I think back in 84 not one bit of rust on it. Original miles I built a a sold wood dash board for it out of cherry. My oldest grandson is 8, the car is his, I made it well known to heaven and earth let no one even try if I happen to be gone when he turns 21. Don't want it to be his very first driver. Yep that all the trophies I have from it pictures taken by professionals with me getting the first place trophy in his home town. 2nd and 3rd went to newer vetts back then. I was puzzled as to how my really nice TR could win out over really nice vetts. Answer abody can buy a new vett pretty tough to find a mint roadster it that condition. Anyway

CV joint, rotor,caliper hopefully new pads. Don't know if you can squezz it but new hub bearing wouldbe good since you have to pull it to change rotor.
Order it from home enter promo code WD56 TAKES $40.00 OFF THAT 113.99 Advance Auto

Driveworks Hub & Bearing Assembly $113.99
Part No: NT515018

Warranty: 1 YR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE
  • Exact Fit for your 1991 Chevrolet K2500
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No new hub going on today. Not so hard to whip apart again now the hard work is done if I find it worn out. Gonna Crack the other side while I've got my neighbors tougher tools. Needed some half inch gear on them hub bolts. Pads were gone with caliper. Rotor worn through one side completely. Dang it's cold out there. Gotta go get at it.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
When you put the hub back on be sure to use antisezez.on them, yes they can be tough,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I got some

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.