GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a 93 Astro van with AWD, 4.3L and was changing the transfer case seal at the output shaft today.

When he got the seal out he found the bearing was gone, real bad and undoubtedly the reason for the seal going.

Question is, because I know nothing about this system in his Rastro, (misspelled on purpose).

Just how big a job is this to change the bearing in the output of the transfer case?

·
Registered
67 Posts
If I remember right it is a fairly involved process but not the most difficult. Get the chiltons book not the Pain in the Haynes. It gives a pretty good overview of the steps you take, if you can get ahold of the GM shop manual even better, my library has the older shop manuals to domestic cars. Like I said it isn't the hardest job in the world just labor intensive. Best suggestion would be to R&R the whole case, they were prone to noises, bearing failure and need a good cleaning every so often, my dad used to rebuild them for guys for pretty cheap and I have done a few for friends, it takes a few hours but it pays for itself in the end. Sorry I couldn't give the exact steps I frankly don't remember it all, the last one I rebuilt from an astro van of that vintage was when I was a freshman in college. I don't want to give you the wrong info.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts