GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 2500hd 6.0 I thought my burb was history.
Now, 11.0 miles per gallon and noisy interior--vs--20 and Starcraft Conversion, its a no brainer.
Aside from the 140,000 miles -vs- 19,000 miles I see not reason for keeping the 2500.
My question is, will I have any trouble hauling 5,000 pounds with my Suburban? It has tranny cooler and tow package already.
Should I be afraid of 140,000 on this 5.7?
I bought off original owner--never towed. Only trips to Florida and back 1X each year.
There is no comparison as to the comfort advantage over the 2500.Thanks Mark

·
Super Moderator
3,391 Posts
I towed a trailer that weighed 3000 pounds dry with my 91 suburban 1500 with a weight distributing hitch. I have the 5.7/350 Chevy small-block and 3.08 rear gears. I then added a 2-3K pound car onto the trailer and it still ran. I woulda made it all the way home if I didn't have 2 spark plug wires burn through from laying on the exhaust manifold, causing the tranny to jump shift and kill itself... so six cylinders on a 8 cylinder won't tow 5k pounds, but all 8 will with no problem :glasses::lol:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
We have a 94 with the 5.7 and have hauled 2 and 4 horse trailers without it ever skipping a beat. Ours just rolled over 200,000 and I wouldn’t be afraid to take it to Florida tomorrow.

Sounds like you have all the right equipment, trans cooler and such.

Just make sure you have it checked out before a long trip by a reputable mechanic and you should be fine. Have him or her check out things you might miss like brake linings, brake lines, cooling lines and hoses, u joints, ball joints and such. It’s a lot easier for them to do on a lift than you with a jack and well worth the cost because they see these things everyday and are more likely to notice something you might miss.

Oh ya have him do a leak down test on the cooling system to, just to be sure. Fuel pressure check would be a good idea to. These are all things that they should be able to do in under 1 hour so just pay him his rate and get a knowledgeable opinion.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I bought our 1998 2wd Suburban with 195,000 miles about 10 months and 3000 miles ago.I really didn't expect much-figured it would suck $ out of me in $1000 bites.
Well, it has been a pleasant surprise-14 mpg in pure stoplight to stoplight traffic driving, but 16+ mpg in more mixed city.It probably gets 18-mpg at about 65 mph on the highway.It has only used about 1/4 qt of oil in 3000 miles despite my using kinda' thin 5w30 syn oil.
We'll probably take a 3500 mile trip in it this summer-I expect it will do ok.
The trans was rebuilt by the PO at 185,000 miles-AC intake gasket at 155,000 miles.
I bought it because we were/are short of money and had to sell the 2003 Pilot($15,500) and buy the Suburban($2950).We needed something big in case of evacuations(3 adults, 1 long legged greyhound,4 cats= lots of stuff).
I'm happy.
Charlie
PS-5500 LBS towing sounds ok to me.It is a big vehicle.Maybe you can upgrade the brakes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought my 92 burb and it had a tad over 200K on the original motor..never touched! Now I have about 217K on it and aside from a little slop in the mains first thing in the morning, she runs like a clock all day long. I have towed cars two wheels down and all 4 wheels up on a trailer.. not a problem. Just drove it 500 miles last Saturday with no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. Of course I plan on rebuilding it, but I'm going to drive her till she says it's time to freshen up. Oh, and it still gets 20 mpg on the highway. :great:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
140,000 is nothing. My 94 has 232,000 on it now and my 95 has 190,000 both are still running fine and can still tow the 6000 pound chipper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts