GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 Burb K1500. 255K on the clock and maintained meticulously. About 3 years ago fuel pump left me stranded. Tank down and replaced it just fine.

Truck now will crank over but not even cough to start. Air cleaner off and push accelerator and I dont see any gas comming out of injectors but worry Im not looking at it correctly. gas right down the TBI and it didnt start either. Few minutes later starting fluid and it reluctatnly started and then idled just fine for 15 minutes. Shut it off and crank again with not start. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires and coil are all new.
Im guessing fuel pump, so any definitive way to check it?

Suggestions?

Im thinking it may be a fuel pump, and if so anyone eliminated the in tank pump and installed and external electric pump? I wondering what I have to attach to the pick up in the tank in lieu of the pump? Syphoning gas and dropping a 42 gallon tank sucks and Im just not confident in electric pumps.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You can pull a plug wire and see if any spark is getting through. But when you turn the key to the ON position, you can normally hear the pump kick in. Just listen for it next time. If you don't hear anything, yeah, it's probably just gone bad again.

You can always check the fuse and stuff... but I've seen plenty of pumps go out on these trucks. The replacements floating around out there don't seem to be the best quality either. Not sure about the aftermarket pump option though. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can pull a plug wire and see if any spark is getting through. But when you turn the key to the ON position, you can normally hear the pump kick in. Just listen for it next time. If you don't hear anything, yeah, it's probably just gone bad again.

You can always check the fuse and stuff... but I've seen plenty of pumps go out on these trucks. The replacements floating around out there don't seem to be the best quality either. Not sure about the aftermarket pump option though. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. I have spark. I gather the large 42 gallon plastic lined tank insulates well cause never have I ever been able to hear the in tanke lectric pump so thats not gonna cut it.

Odd because once I get it started it will idle fine suggesting that the pump works somewhat to sustain idle.

Tthis is why I ask if there is a way to test the fuel pump w/o taking it out of the tank. I would thing there is a Gallon per minute flow that can be measured possibly just like the old days of measuring mechanical fuel pumps.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
The TBI pumps are quieter than the later pumps, so it's hard to hear them. You can check the fuel pressure at the throttle body, but you will have to disconnect it from the TBI and hook it to the tester since there isn't a shrader valve. The pressure should be 9-12 pounds if I'm not mistaken.

You might also replace the ignition module. They can start going out and work sometimes and not sometimes. You will get a spark, just not a very good one.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
HAMMER TRICK, when it wont start get under the tank with a good hammer while someone cranks the engine whack the bottom side of the tank where pump would be be if it fires this is for sure a fuel pump, this worked like a charm on my 99 when it wouldnt start got me through to the next paychack then got it fixed without the bill form the diagnostic computer!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gary L if you lived closer Id buy you a beer just for your smarts. This weekend I pulled the fuel line and without a gauge put the key in the on position and gas poured out so I assumed maybe although I had spark I guess it to be weak. Taking apart cap and rotor and ignition module. Had the ignition moduel tested and it failed 3 out of 5 tests. New cap and rotor with brass terminals and a new module and it fired right up! Good call GaryL!

The TBI pumps are quieter than the later pumps, so it's hard to hear them. You can check the fuel pressure at the throttle body, but you will have to disconnect it from the TBI and hook it to the tester since there isn't a shrader valve. The pressure should be 9-12 pounds if I'm not mistaken.

You might also replace the ignition module. They can start going out and work sometimes and not sometimes. You will get a spark, just not a very good one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts