GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i burnt 2 headlight power switches and then lost high beam. the switch stuck on both high and low beam and this pulled too much powerand cooked the power switch. it took a bit of reasearch to find information on this switch as it was not listed in the parts guide or service books. the part number is NAPA STS-2 and was $20

ok to swap this you need 15-30 min.
remove the 2 philips screws on the lower steering cover. set aside for now
remove the 2 nuts 9/16 holding the column to the dash. i then removed the 4 13MM bolts to remove the mount. this gives a ton of room to work as the switch is 1/2 down to e column and on the drivers side top.The dimmer's bottom-most (toward firewall) mounting bolt is actually a small stud with a 3/8" nut. The top-most bolt is a 5/16" cap screw. Remove both. Remove the old dimmer. The new dimmer will have a "retaining clip" to hold the switch in a neutral position during shipping. Remove it. Hook the new dimmer assy on the stud and align the upper bolt in the hole, then attach the lower nut. The bracket holes are slotted and you need to align the rod in the hole of the switch, then slide the switch up toward the steering wheel to remove all the slack in the rod. Tighten both bolts. Reconnect the wire harness. TEST the dimmer function before you button the dash up! You may have to adjust the slack slightly.reinstall the column support mount. Replace the dash panels. Pat yourself on the back. i now have high/low beams and no more something is cooking smell.....mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the information. I was able to replace the switch as per your instructions. I bought a BWD Automotive switch from Advanced Auto Parts for $18. I had to bend one copper connector into a "L" to make it fit the GM plug. The prong was not properly aligned with the connector. Works now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
FYI, the manual recommends a 3/32" drill bit placed in the hole in the plastic dimmer switch. Then mount the switch with zero slack on the rod, i.e., tight up towards the steering wheel. Remove the drill bit, and it should be adjusted to the correct slack.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts