GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Chevy C1500 it has about 205,000 miles. The runs great except that it stals when i try to take of. I just changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel injectors I also removed the thermostat. When I finished changing everything the truck started and ran perfectly so I decided to take it to work for a good test drive. When I drove for about 20 miles straight freeway. First thing I noticed was that I was going 65mph and the engine was at 2,500rpm. Then I got to a stop light (by this time the truck had warmed up at about 170 degrees) and when I tried to take off the truck started stalling again. Then I went to lunch and the truck ran beutifully the first time I took off then (10 seconds later) I stopped at the light and the truck started stalling again. When I was parking the truck turned off and didnt want to turn back on. I was finally able to turn it back on and carefully drive back to work.
Thanks any advise will help out a lot.

P.S. Could the thermostat or rotor have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
208 Posts
First of all, put a thermostat in it. It will never run properly until it warms up as designed. As far as your stall problem, there are few easy things to check. Disconnect the vacuum line at the EGR valve and see if that helps. I would also take a good, hard look at the distributor cap and rotor. . A bad coil or coil wire will also cause the problem you're desribing. An easy test would be to use a spray bottle and spray some water on the coil and wires while it's idling. Jumping sparks will tell the tale. It's also possible your throttle position sensor is causing a problem, but I wouldn't just throw one on it unless you've narrowed the problem down to it.
Good Luck and God Bless

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea thats true but I took the thermostat off because I ahve a bad fan clutch which I want to worry about that later. I don't think the EGR is causeing the problem because when I disconnected the vacuum line the check engine light turned on and the engine started shaking really bad I also checked the coils today and they seem pretty good. I did the test with the water bottle and I got nothing. I had a broken TPS and I put it on there to see what happened but the truck started running worse so I'm guessing the the TPS is good. So I decided to take it to a shop to get it checked. They saw the coolant temp sensor was bad and they replaced that and that some how fixed the stalling problem. Now all i need to figure out is what is causing the truck to stall when I want to take off at full throttle.
Thanks for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts