GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently sold my GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 sierra with an automatic transmission, it run really good, it had the 4.3 v6, but not much towing capacity ( it was geared very high) I am looking at a chevy 3/4 ton 4x4, but it also has the 4.3 v6, only difference it is a 3/4 ton with a manual transmission ( the GMC had an automatic) being a 3/4 (2500) would the chevy work better for towing. What's the chances that the 3/4 ton chevy is geared high also, would the transmission make a difference (automatic vs manual) thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
4,398 Posts
I‘m mostly certain the 4.3 in the ‘98 was an accident. A 2500 manual would not have been a logical combination to purchase new. At a minimum it should have had the 5.7. Betting an adult beverage on the fact that the ‘98 has 4.10’s in it.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
4,398 Posts
Short answer, no. The fan shroud and engine mounts are different. The V8 shroud is about 6” shorter. The 4.3 mounts are upside down compared to the V8 ones.

The accessory drive is a direct fit. It’s likely the fuel line was modified slightly, but I’m not sure. The TBI ones were slightly different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts