GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Chevrolet K1500
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve had nothing but nightmares with the wiring on my truck. Whoever had it before has made my life a living hell. So 4 days ago I took off to town truck started chugging and puking bad had no power at all. I pulled over called home, rescue came it was a bad ground from earlier in the day (truck needed a jump) I had taken off a + & - wire that a friend had attempted to hook up a LightBar with no luck of course... anyway I thought maybe that’s why the battery died so I jus unhooked them and left (my bad) anyway went about my business then stopped at my sons left the truck running and it started to overheat (I have an electric fan) so I shut it off let it cool but of course it wouldn’t start so the trusty jump box got me on my way and I started home. Got about 8 miles away and the truck shut off on me so I called home rescue came jumped the truck put it in gear and no headlights. Shut it off called rescue , he brought me a different battery and he drove it home. Well he hates my truck anyway so it’s been sitting every since . So today I go out and hook the battery back up start the truck take off the positive cable and it dies . So I go to the garage grab a new alternator and put it on . Hooked the battery back up and walked away. That was about 4pm well it’s 11pm now I go out to check on the chickens and the rear passenger side reverse light is on. Mind you I haven’t had reverse lights since I’ve owned the truck... what in the hell is going on besides a wiring issue. Good lord please help before I smack a tree with it...

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
505 Posts
Well, unfortunately, all I can say is "a wiring issue". To me, it would seem you have a short in the wiring harness back to the reverse lights. Possibly in the trailer wiring. If the driver's side bulb is out, then it would only illuminate the one side...

·
Registered
1994 Chevrolet K1500
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, unfortunately, all I can say is "a wiring issue". To me, it would seem you have a short in the wiring harness back to the reverse lights. Possibly in the trailer wiring. If the driver's side bulb is out, then it would only illuminate the one side...
As a matter of fact the drivers side is out and has been for some time. I tried myself to rewire bc it was a mess underneath there . I called I bet 17 Chevy Dealerships Service dept trying to find out exactly what wires I was to start at and not ONE person had an answer for me. I have a set of wires the run along the truck up to the tail lights which by the way are a chrome housing with LEDs that I assumed were the correct wires . After 2 days of that I had brake lights tail lights and blinkers except the drivers side but still no backup lights. I even had 4ways except for the drivers side . I jus gave up , my boyfriend is no help he thinks I should kno how to do this **** and literally refuses to help me. So like I said today new alternator and charged battery and tonight one backup light illuminated ... so where do I start ?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well, LEDs aren't like standard bulbs. They will only work if the polarity is right. So, your driver's side may be reversed on polarity. (They may also be burned up.)

Why did you pull the positive off the alternator/battery? Yes, it's supposed to die when you do that. Alternators are not generators, in the old sense. You cannot run a vehicle without the battery and alternator in tandem.

I really have no idea where to start... I would pull the fuse for the reverse lights and see if the light goes out. If it does not, you will have to trace the wires back until you find the short and repair it. This will probably solve your battery drain when the truck is sitting.

·
Registered
1994 Chevrolet K1500
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, LEDs aren't like standard bulbs. They will only work if the polarity is right. So, your driver's side may be reversed on polarity. (They may also be burned up.)

Why did you pull the positive off the alternator/battery? Yes, it's supposed to die when you do that. Alternators are not generators, in the old sense. You cannot run a vehicle without the battery and alternator in tandem.

I really have no idea where to start... I would pull the fuse for the reverse lights and see if the light goes out. If it does not, you will have to trace the wires back until you find the short and repair it. This will probably solve your battery drain when the truck is sitting.
I kno the drivers side tail light is not burned out nor is the polarity reversed bc every once in awhile the damn thing works. And I pulled the positive cable off to see if would die thinking that the alternator was the issue. Isn’t the truck suppose to run off the alternator? Once it’s started ? I only remember this from when I sold my 75’ Camaro along time ago, I jus bought a new battery for it and wanted to keep it so I started the car and my dad took the battery out and I drive it to the car lot to trade it on . Stayed running. So I thought the same thing with my truck if the alternator was good if I unhooked the positive it should stay running. But it didn’t so I replaced it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Older cars have generators, not alternators. So the newer vehicles will not stay running with no battery. The battery actually powers the vehicle. The alternator constantly charges the battery. (Broad strokes...)

You have a considerable amount of electrical problems, then... I would isolate circuits and work them one by one. It's going to be slow going.

·
Registered
1994 Chevrolet K1500
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Older cars have generators, not alternators. So the newer vehicles will not stay running with no battery. The battery actually powers the vehicle. The alternator constantly charges the battery. (Broad strokes...)

You have a considerable amount of electrical problems, then... I would isolate circuits and work them one by one. It's going to be slow going.
What are circuits and exactly where do I start. The first thing I need to kno is why all of a sudden it overheated? It’s never done that before . And I had no idea that it was even happening bc all of a sudden I have no gauges. This all stems from a stereo install. The boyfriends daughters boyfriend offered to install my stereo system ie: Android head unit , amp and subs. Well it was a no go and I drove around for months with no stereo. Welp after he attempted I then lost my alarm system and remote start. And my windshield wipers and door locks . Don’t kno what he did but it’s all gone at that point. So another friend came 2 weeks ago to help me out and all of a sudden I have wipers he then took the door panel off and wired the hell out of my door with a relay and who knows what else but my locks work. Trucks ran fine no other issues since his help , now it overheated and had the bad ground .
Soagain where do I start or would it bemore easier for me to buy a whole new wiring harness and try to wire the truck myself ?

·
Registered
505 Posts
There's so much going on here... It's going to take a computer screen to properly process. I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
not to be mean or rude , but you have too many hands in your electrical , my first suggestion , never let anyone cut a wire on your truck , second find a good auto electrician, but that will be costly, if things started going wrong after stereo install , start there look for taped wires , bare wires, or cut wires , anything that just doesnt look right, use a test light check all your powers and grounds, but f you focus on one circuit at a time , you will find the problem , when you have it parked in might be a good idea to unhook your battery negative to save your battery till you have problem solved

·
Registered
505 Posts
OK...I'm back. PE exam down and more brain cells to focus on important things like truck wiring. :D

@KeKe2369
Have you been able to make any progress with your wiring issues?

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,013 Posts
OK...I'm back. PE exam down and more brain cells to focus on important things like truck wiring. 😀
Did you seriously take your PE last weekend?

Reactions: OpalLacod

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Professional Engineer! Congrats!

Al

Reactions: OpalLacod

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,013 Posts
Exactly. Having taken the PE myself, I fully appreciate the effort.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thanks, guys! Bunch of nerds... :ROFLMAO:

Yes, I did finally get to take it. I was scheduled to take it in April before my 3rd child arrived, but the 'rona had other plans. So Oct 23rd was "the" day. Nothing quite like an 8 hour exam in a conference center wearing a facemask. I did get my own table to myself, so it wasn't all bad. Now the 8-12 weeks of waiting to know if I passed. I feel good about it, so maybe the extra study time from the 'rona was helpful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts