GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, here again with another post. I have a 94 Silverado 5.7 V8 2wd. I have this ongoing issue that has proceeded to get worse. My front drivers side wheel is making a harsh grinding/squealing noise. It isnt my brakes because about 1 month ago I just changed the pads,rotors and I bought new wheel bearings and packed them with grease. I have been told that my suspension is going bad and needs to be replaced, but I am saving money for it as the parts are $800 for all moog, and another $900 for labor. Now I am wondering if this noise is from something going bad like ball joints or something. Please feel free to help I would greatly appreciate it. Below is the video of the noise. I make the noise all the time coasting, breaking and accelerating.

·
Registered
120 Posts
first off , is it a constant noise , second did you check for rocks between backing shield and rotor , or did you check see if backing plate its bent and rubbing rotor rubbing , or did you install pads correctly , how tight did you tighten bearings, those are the most common problems i know of to create a grinding or squealing noise,

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Jack the truck up and set it on jack stands in the front. Spin the wheels to see if you can feel or hear the problem. Pull the wheels and inspect everything for scraping signs including the inside of the rims. Change the left front wheel to the right front to see if the noise follows. I don't think its your suspension as the noise on the video seems to be constant.

·
Registered
13,025 Posts
I agree, turn the wheel by hand, you should hear the scrapping sound, take off the wheel, is it still there?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first off , is it a constant noise , second did you check for rocks between backing shield and rotor , or did you check see if backing plate its bent and rubbing rotor rubbing , or did you install pads correctly , how tight did you tighten bearings, those are the most common problems i know of to create a grinding or squealing noise,
It is a noise that cuts out for a few seconds and goes again. But not always does it cut out. Yes there are no rock between the backing shield and rotor. The backing plate is not bent or rubbing I pulled the wheel of and can spin the rotor freely without hearing that noise. Yes i installed the pads correctly. I tightened the when bearing hand tight until it lined up with the cotter pin hole, so not very tight but just a bit loose if that make sense.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jack the truck up and set it on jack stands in the front. Spin the wheels to see if you can feel or hear the problem. Pull the wheels and inspect everything for scraping signs including the inside of the rims. Change the left front wheel to the right front to see if the noise follows. I don't think its your suspension as the noise on the video seems to be constant.
I will jack it up and see if I can inspect the wheels and rotors. For the time being I appreciate everyone's help. I dont have access to my jack and stands as I'm in the process of moving houses. But once i do if the problem still persists I will make another post

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate everyone's help. I will try to diagnose this problem and see what I can come up with. If I still have trouble I'll make another post but again thanks for all the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts