GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I followed advice from a member of this forum to locate an electrical short. It was the method of disconnecting the neg. battery cable, putting a meter between cable and neg. terminal, then pulling fuses one at a time. I came up with nothing, no change in reading to indicate any circuit was shorting. I thought maybe I did it wrong, so I read instructions again and tried again - nothing. I still had a major drain https://snaptube.cam/ on the system though, alternator working real hard and dead battery every night. Frustrating! Well I found problem by accident, while replacing a heater hose. I noticed a heavy guage white wire going from the junction block,along firewall behind engine. It lead to a small silver box marked 30amp, with 2 screw terminals. This box was mounted to inner fender near antilock brake system. The wire changed color to red from there,and went into the wire harness that goes to taillights. I found that wire cut off near rear bumper. Sooo...... Having determined that thing was hot at all times, and not connected to anything, I removed all of it starting at the junction block. END OF PROBLEM ! My neighbor says it may have been part of an electric trailer braking system. I removed the hitch and trailer wires a while back, but I missed that one somehow.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts