GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:grrrrrr:Well....just got some bad news...........Complete rebuild of the 4x4 front gear set........

95 2500 4x4 Suburban with 107K miles. The front gear set all pitted and pinion bearing wear. Garage thought that maybe before me the owner ran in 4wd on dry pavement for an extended period of time.

Any other's have any similar problems. Garage said that this was a wearer point of this rig's?????

1700.00 repair bill!!!!

Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...........1700.00 is an OUCH!!!!!! but it's cheaper than a new truck........and when done it will have all new gear set and bearings, just like new.............

what can you do?????

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
No doubt about that.
The front and rear gearing is worn on my 87 Blazer so i have been holding out as long a possible because I eventually want to put 4:56's in it front and rear along with posi so I will not be able to sit down for a while after that expense:gasp::lol:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
When driven on the road a lot in 4wd this is a common problem with these trucks. I've seen people with this problem drop the front shaft and still drive them around a while. I dont recommend that though.
Does the shop your using do a lot of 4x4's? The price seems a little high.
I think you could find a used front diff and use either the gearset or the whole diff and get a better price.
A front gear set with a master install kit only runs about $500 (try Randys ring & pinion), install is about 5-6 hours with proper gear shimming.

·
Registered
82 Posts
$1700 for a re-gear? I got some swampland here in FL. I can sell ya!:lol:

Seriously, any reputable shop will charge +/- $500 in labor, and if you pay more than $250 for the gears and master install kit, you're getting ripped!

Do yourself a favor, and take it to another shop, $1700 IS WAY TOO MUCH! Put it this way, I work on axles, for me to do a re-gear front and back, parts and labor included is $1,200 out the door.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$1700 for a re-gear? I got some swampland here in FL. I can sell ya!:lol:

Seriously, any reputable shop will charge +/- $500 in labor, and if you pay more than $250 for the gears and master install kit, you're getting ripped!

Do yourself a favor, and take it to another shop, $1700 IS WAY TOO MUCH! Put it this way, I work on axles, for me to do a re-gear front and back, parts and labor included is $1,200 out the door.
LOL....I lived in Florida.........I know what you mean.............However I was miss quoted.......

The total bill was only 977.24 and in fact he pulled down the Transfer Case and resealed it, along with the Gear Set and reseal of the front axle........

Front Hubs were in good shape........

Sounds like a new front end!!!!!

Maybe another 100k in the making......

Thanks for the support...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts