GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 1500 Chevy. The grommet blew out around the dipstick and I have no idea how much fluid leaked out. I keep trying to add fluid but now it wont take any. I know its low because I have no power and its shifting very high. The trans pan just pours every drop right back out of the dipstick. I dont understand how it can be this low but not take any fluid. Please help. I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Trying to wrap my head around this one so pardon the questions.

So is the fluid leaking from where the dipstick tube seats into the transmission or out of the top of the tube?

Did you recently perform a service on the transmission? I.e. change the fluid and filter?

Did the problem just recently occur?

First thing that comes to mind is the transmission is way overfilled causing the fluid to foam and lose it's viscous properties.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to wrap my head around this one so pardon the questions.

So is the fluid leaking from where the dipstick tube seats into the transmission or out of the top of the tube?

Did you recently perform a service on the transmission? I.e. change the fluid and filter?

Did the problem just recently occur?

First thing that comes to mind is the transmission is way overfilled causing the fluid to foam and lose it's viscous properties.
It blew the grommet that was on the fill tube. So as a quick fix I put a cork in the fill tube hole on the trans. It's not leaking past the cork but if i stick a tube in the hole to add fluid it just comes right back out. Do I absolutely have to have a dipstick to add fluid I can't just directly put it in the trans? It's a $500 work truck that's the only reason I haven't went out of my way to fix things the right way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Without a dipstick it will be difficult to get the proper amount of fluid in it. If I recall correctly (may need to google this to make sure I am correct) you need to check the level with the transmission warmed up after cycling through all the gears (pausing for a moment in each gear) and with the engine running and the transmission in neutral . Kinda tough to do without a dipstick. Maybe find one in a boneyard somewhere. Something like that here in SW Iowa at the local yard would run you a couple of dollars. Just a gut feel but I think you may be overfilling the transmission. Find a dipstick and tube that will seat in the transmission and that should help with the fluid check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with UtahUtes, you're likely fighting a combination of things. The fluid gets pulled into the valve body lowering fluid levels while driving, and pours back in when in park. Simultaneously the fluid is expanding as it gets hot, making it seem like the fluid level is fine. The seal at the dipstick tube is only a few dollars and easy to change, your best bet would be to change the seal and set it right- a $500 work truck is worthless if not drivable, and continuing to drive it as is will surely lead to the dreaded 3-4 clutch failure

·
Registered
58 Posts
It blew the grommet that was on the fill tube. So as a quick fix I put a cork in the fill tube hole on the trans. It's not leaking past the cork but if i stick a tube in the hole to add fluid it just comes right back out. Do I absolutely have to have a dipstick to add fluid I can't just directly put it in the trans? It's a $500 work truck that's the only reason I haven't went out of my way to fix things the right way.
Zack, Sorry but it's kinda hard to follow exactly what you're saying/doing. The tube for the dipstick is the fill tube. Dipstick is not needed to add fluid, but it is necessary to properly check the level/amount of fluid in the system. Follow UU recommendation, warm up trans., slowly cycle through the gears, place in neutral and have a dipstick to check the amount of fluid present. Check it 2 or 3 times wiping off the dipstick between checks. Where is it? If it doesn't show any fluid or just a small bit of oil on the bottom end of the stick, you're low. Slowly add a quart of fluid by using a long neck transmission filler funnel placed in the dipstick tube while the engine is running, transmission in neutral. After adding, give it a few minutes for residual fluid to vacate the tube and then recheck. Repeat as needed but be careful when you start seeing a presents on the dipstick so that you don't overfill. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts