GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Suburban of choice is a 95 2500 Heavy Duty Big Block four wheel drive. As most know, this rig is a rather stout one when looking at the Dana rearend. It appears there is no sway bar on the rear and my tire man commented that on this configuration of Suburban, the rear axle is 1 inch narrower on each side compared to the front track size. Can anyone explain this as to why Chevrolet went with this size configuration and why there is no sway bar? Thanks----Pete

·
Registered
42 Posts
RE:

I don't know why they did that. Actually I think it's even 2 inches per side. I do know that it's annoying every time I look at my burb. It just doesn't look right. I also heard people say that sometimes that generates problems driving on ice or mud due to the tires not running in the same tracks. They do make spacers though that fix that problem. On ebay for about $100 shipped.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
RE:

Huh, that doesn't seem right why it would be engineered like that. It would cause driving problems in the snow, that's for sure. I would think it would duplicate the issue of driving in ruts on the roads as well becuase you would have to fight it a bit if only one of the tires were on the top of the rut and one was in the rut.

·
Registered
38 Posts
RE:

I am purchasing the 1995 K2500 slt w/454 4l80 tran 4x4 it has 156,000 for $6,000. I do know my family is growing and we need a large truck. Many people at work say I am paying too much for an old truck with that many miles. Now the burb has a great rep. I wonder why pete stated this was his choice suburban. I welcome any feed back to the pro and cons of this model truck. I am not concerned about the mpg. Thats the price of safety. Thank you Curt [email protected]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine is a '96 2500 2wd. The only difference in the engine I believe is they went to the Vortec in '96. I bought mine 2 yrs ago w/ 153,000 miles. Mileage was not a concern for me because I didn't plan on the burb being a daily driver.

Pros:
Wife wont't drive it becuase of its size.
I can haul almost anything.
Plenty of room for 3 kids and counting plus all their stuff.
Very durable engine.
Plenty of aftermarket parts available for repairs & upgrades.

Cons:
Mileage....but if you need to save gas you shouldn't be looking at a 3/4 truck to begin with.
Wash, wax and detail takes forever.
Certian repairs can get pricey with the 2500... brakes come to mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Newbie-------I chose the 95 2500 4x4 454 because with a somewhat disregard for mileage, I needed a vehicle that would pull my enclosed 20 ft car trailer, as well as, handle the snow in the Colorado mountains. Mine had 148k miles and was exceptionally clean (no tears in the seats, for example) and nice paint. I too paid $6000 for the car and it is one of the best I have owned. Granted, I would have liked the Vortec fuel injection system rather than the throttle body injection but this is the one that came along. Good luck with your new acquisition, I know you will enjoy.

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.