GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all.

First, 95 Chevy C1500 5.7. After removing tons of stuff, I found that at least so far I removed too much. I was able to remove the glove box, then remove the bottom pan from under the Heater Core. After bypassing the heater core under the hood the heater core slips right out.

HINT: all the little bolts holding that pan use a 5.5mm or 7/32; EXCEPT the bolt way in the back that is virtually impossible to get to, which is a 9/32. I used a 1/4 inch socket flexible extender to get to that 9/32. The lower pan came right off.

Now a Question: Any tricks to getting the second pan off? The Evaporator core is inside another compartment under the dash. Is this the one I need to move the dash out of the way for, or is there a simpler way?

Thanks, all.

Maury

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello, all. Time for a new status report on my efforts to replace the evaporator in my 95 C1500. Remember, I am NOT a mechanic so bear with my idiocy and wrong steps. Here is what I have learned, mostly the hard way.

* I asked the question in another thread; How to get the dash off of the slide pins with the shield about them; well I figured that out. You take a screwdriver and pry them off the end of the slide pin, you don't pivot them off.
* The main bolts holding the HVAC Module on the firewall are actually under the hood in the firewall. They are all 10 mm, at least in my Canadian made truck.
* There is one bolt that is inside the cabin, right by the top Evaporator Connector. I never saw this one until after I broke a few parts. Now that I know its there I hope to put it back in properly (after a ton of JB Weld) but I don't know how any newbie would find it without.
* I don't know what good it did to take the fan motor out, nor what good it did to take out all the little bolts I described earlier. The whole box still needs to come loose.

Anyway, now I start the JB Weld process on the pieces of my HVAC Module. I would like to buy another one but so far have not found one on the WEB. Anybody know of a good source for HVAC Modules for older trucks?

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are plenty of them at pick and pulls here in Nashville, but you'd have to be here and also dig them out like you did yours. All in all, not likely. Check u-pick junk yards and get one from a Suburban, Tahoe, or pickup.

PS I have a 95 Suburban and just today did most of the hard work to replace my evaporator core and heater core. I have the dash completely out of the vehicle and tomorrow will work on getting the hvac module out as a unit. I believe I have four bolts left under the hood (I already took out the bolt and nut that were holding the accumulator bracket on) and the one bolt on top of the hvac module inside. I understand it is hard to find. I am trying to finally fix my AC system properly and when I was disconnecting the frozen bottom evaporator connector, it twisted off inside the firewall, ruining the evaporator. But it will be a blessing in disguise when it is working right.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spinne1, If you got that top bolt from the inside of the firewall (the one that sticks all the way thru the firewall and into the engine compartment) then that is the hardest one in my opinion. Having the dash out of the way is probably a major help to that. I am still moving mine around to work.

I may be able to pull from from a pick and pull to replace mine; however I am going to try the JB Weld repairs first. I made the first two last night; I will work slowly to make sure it sets good.

I agree with the blessing in disguise; I am going on job interviews without AC and I really need it working.

Good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello all.

I now have A/C again. I have some putting back together to do, but that will be easy. I had to spend a couple of days with JB Weld to fix up the HVAC box I pulled out in pieces, but it works fine. A couple of tips for anyone searching and reading this:

1) You will have to get the dash out of the way. In my opinion, just lifted up some is not enough. The bolt by the top Evaporator tube is almost impossible to see without getting the dash out.
2) You will need an 8 or 10 inch socket extension to get to that bolt over the top of the HVAC box.
3) As I mentioned before, 5.5 millimeter socket for most of the bolts on the HVAC box; 7 mm on others.
4) The main bolts holding the HVAC box in place are inside the firewall.
5) Don't try to squirt oil into the installed evaporator if you are parked facing down on a slanted driveway. It makes a mess.
6) If you don't really know what you are doing (like me) don't take this on if you are in a hurry. My saving grace was I had time to rest, research, give up when frustrated, etc. I learned as I went and managed to get there.
7) Make sure to live across the alley from someone with an AC Evac pump.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have 1995 Chevy G30 Van and want to replace my Evaporator. Do i have to remove the dash or can it be done under the hood? Appears the front of the case can be removed from under the hood?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts