GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a aftermarket steering column and it doesn't have the neutral safety switch connection does anyone know how I can bypass this I can still start and drive but it won't get out of first gear 1995 g20 4l60e automatic

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Sounds to me like your gear selector is the problem for (D) and not the neutral safety switch. The gear selector is stuck in low or first gear for some reason. You wouldn't be able to crank/start the truck if the switch was in any gear except park or neutral.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The transmission line isn't connected right now I'll have to figure how to make this one work basically this column is made for for a linkage instead of a transmission line but I've been able to pull it into gear and reverse but when I get into drive it never goes into second I took it to a shop he said the column didn't have a neutral safety switch and that's why it doesn't recognize it's moving I didn't know if I could rig something up to make it work for now

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
Don't think your shop guy is giving you the correct info, the Park/Neutral switch has nothing to do with shifting into 2nd gear, has nothing to do with sensing vehicle speed.
As Sliver said, the P/N switch has only one function, which is to prevent you from starting the engine if the transmission is in gear.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Did you disconnect any wiring that was on or under the column besides the P/N safety switch? Any fuses blown in the under hood block or under dash? I assume this is a 4lE60 auto trans. Correct?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts