GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was driving my suburban and used the 4 wheel drive. When I took it out of 4 wheel it wasn't driving right. On the road it would every now and then jolt the wheel slightly to one way or the other. Also if I took a left turn the left front wheel would make this clicking noise. Any ideas what the problem could be?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Front hubs may need to be repacked with grease...?

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
Are you certain the 4wd disengaged? I've seen similar behavior in 4wd vehicles where the transfer case had picked up enough tension to not readily release.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im 95% sure that its out of 4 wheel. I did the nuetral and reverse trick to get it out. I'm just hoping its not T case problems but it probably is with my luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Are you certain the 4wd disengaged? I've seen similar behavior in 4wd vehicles where the transfer case had picked up enough tension to not readily release.
I had a very similar problem, last winter And the problem was that the tranny transfer case did not fully release. The upper linkage was packed with snow and ice......

You may want to check that before driving too much more..

But I agree that the front hubs or bearing may need attention, Grease!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sub 4x4

If I am not mistaken, there is no grease on the 95 setup. There is a one piece "bearing hub". I used to have one and it make some noise so I dug into it and the shop says bearing hub, $300 per side.

RQ

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Inspect and replace as needed.

Yep, 95 uses a hub assembly looks like this, and bearing has to be pressed out of the hub. I'm still suspicious about the transfer case disengaging. I don't know of an accurate test to help though. The thermal actuator of earlier models was corrected. My 93 had the old style, but I don't know when the redesign was implemented by GM. Should be easy enough to check for bad bearing with a visual inspection, but you have to tear it down to get a look at them.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright my friend and I took it for a drive and he watch me as I turned. The CV will spin then catch then spin then catch but it only does this on the left side. This leads me to believe that I stripped some teeth of of something in there. I found hub bearings and CV's for decent prices on Ebay but I dont want to buy anything before I take it apart to see what's wrong.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
That's the classic symptom for a bad cv joint. Get it replaced before any serious damage. Be sure to check replace any bad or leaky boots.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha got the CV replaced a few week back and I used the 4wheel again today with the same problem. Locked into 4 wheel wont come out. reverse wont help exact same symptoms as when the CV died on the other side. Other thing is when shifting out of neutral on the transfer case with the transmission in neutral it grinds like a bastard? Possible connections between two problems? I dont think the CV is bad I know what to look for and at the moment it seems to be alright. I dont have any of these problems with my sierra 2 wheel drive.:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts