GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody ... I am unemployed and have been so for over 3 years ... I have no steady income and I have to do a lot of things my self to save money ... could someone please tell me what part this is that is missing from the front end and will it be a problem replacing it? The first two picture is the front left side with the bushing and bolt missing from the arm:no:... the third picture shows the right side with the bushing and bolt connecting the arm. This is a 1996 S10 with 2wd and a 2.2L 4 cyl. eng. frontleft.jpg Lfront.jpg RTFront.jpg Thank you for your time.:happy:

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's your sway bar end link. You can get a kit with both sides for about $10-$20 at any parts store. It's a good idea to change them as a set.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a hard job to do?

That's your sway bar end link. You can get a kit with both sides for about $10-$20 at any parts store. It's a good idea to change them as a set.
Hello Chris ... thanks for posting:great: ... is it hard to do the job? What kind of tools are needed to replace the link? Is this something I can do myself? :neutral:

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Chris hit it spot on. It looks like the bushing is still there as well as part of the bolt. Looks like the top part of the bolt broke off. They are very easy to replace. A socket, a ratchet, & an open end wrench are all you need. (9/16" I believe.) You could even replace them with 2 open end wrenches, if you don't have a ratchet, or even just 1 wrench & a pair of vise grips. Like Chris said do both of them. You know that since the one broke, the other can't be far behind :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got her done

Hi everybody ... I found a youtube video that showed how to replace the sway bar link which was very helpful ... I got the part on:party: ... it was hard getting the old bolt out ... the washers and the metal tubing was so rusted it took a lot of hammering, twisting and turning to get it free, once that was done the rest was fairly easy ...the video stated I had to jack the suspension up a little more in order for me to get the last washer and nut on. I would have been there all day if not for that information.:great: I plan to wait for the other one to go ... I'll go with Murphy's Law if it ain't broke don't fix it. Besides the only way to get it off is to either cut it ... and I don't have the means ... or wait until it breaks like the other one ... then it's just a matter of a lot of hammering to get it free.

In the fall I would like to replace the front struts and the front brakes
:gasp: ... can that be done by a back yard ... and very bad mechanic? When I had the tire off today the struts look like it would be a time getting them off ...is that true?

Anyway many thanks to those that took the time to read my post and those that posted advice.
:glasses:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Nah, on those front shocks, it's just a couple bolts on the bottom and a bolt on the top, plus the bushings. They're pretty easy. You probably won't even need a jack. The brakes aren't too too hard, just make sure to replace/resurface the rotors and repack the wheel bearings while you're in there. I may post a Youtube video sometime in the next couple of months, doing my '94 Suburban's brakes. They're pretty similar.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Chris ... will you please let us know if you put up a video on youtube? I would very much like to see it. I will look for you in the fall when I do the struts ... thanks again for posting ... you have been a big help.:great:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just want to make note

I guess this part must have been missing for sometime ... I thought my front struts were going bad because when I hit a bump the truck would shift to the side ... but after fixing it ... the truck doesn't do it anymore:party::great:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts