GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is fast approaching. I came up with an idea to put some weight over the rear axle. I'm going to make an "H" frame box out of 2x4's that slides into between wheel wells then fill the centre area with 24"x24" patio slabs (I figure there about 45-50lbs a piece) Anybody have a better idea?
I figure about 200lbs is enough weight???

I have Michelin XTM M/S radials on it.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Is it frozen there all winter long? I saw a guy do that in the mountains of Washington state only he put some 10mm poly visqueen down and filled it full of water, which weights 8lbs/US liquid. It froze and expanded up, which is fine becuase it was a big enough space and he didn't have to worry about breaking a sandbag or whatever, plus water is free. ;-) 200lbs is about 25 gallons of water. (just think of five 5-gallon buckets, about that size)

When the sping thaw came, the ice melted and he just pulled out the visqueen and rolled it up for next year. Best part, no heavy lifting. :party: The only negative comes if you need that space in the back ... there are objects that are more dense than water so they take up less space.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting! But it's not below 0 all the time, close. Patio slabs are about 2" thick and 24"X24" so 4 slabs would only be 4" high and 48" long by 24" wide. Thats not a huge space to take up in back. I think 4 slabs is heavier than 200 lbs now that I'm thinking about it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
winter driving

If its not to expensive...you should put a solid metal sheet on the floor of your box (4X8) that way wou would have like 150-200 pounds and you dont loose an inch of cargo space.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If its not to expensive...you should put a solid metal sheet on the floor of your box (4X8) that way wou would have like 150-200 pounds and you dont loose an inch of cargo space.
Yes, but remember during an accident whatever is in the back can become a airborne missile! My dad used to haul steel and he told some horrific stories about loose loads.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I went and got 24"x30" patio slabs 105lbs a piece that 420lbs and it brought the truck level (Took the rake out of truck) Secured by 2x4's so it ain't going nowhere. If I roll over, some patio slabs are the least of my worries :rofl:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Except I did it for $40 :great: Did I tell you patio slabs are heavy....Holy cow. The frame I built holds them in really tight too. If I can get my digital camera from my daughter for a minute, I'll post some pictures.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I made out well last year in my 2 wheel sierra 2500. My friends grandfather owns a gravel pit so i payed him 20 bucks to dump half a loader full of top soil in the bed. In the spring I just spread it out in my woods.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My buddy worked at a GM dealership years ago and put some transmissions in the back of his 454SS for a trip up to Maryland (it was snowing all week when he went!)..worked great and when he got back, he gave the old trannys back to the dealership...cost, nothing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts