GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 96 Chevy k1500, wasn't my truck so I'm not sure what all was done to the truck. Hooked up the battery and the headlights, windows and wippers all work. It doesn't crank, doesn't start I can hear some type of clicking when I try to crank it almost like it's the fuel pump clicking. I know it's a new to the truck engine and transmission. I just put a radiator, fan clutch in. I'm new to mechanics so please be patient with me

·
Registered
15,045 Posts
Hi, welcome to the site.
If you hear a clicking every time you move the key into the crank position, it is coming from the starter solenoid.
The starter solenoid is mounted on top of the starter and the clicking is the armature in the solenoid operating to close heavy contacts that complete the electrical circuit to spin the starter.

Usually the problem is worn out contacts in the solenoid, but it could be problems in the starter.

If you have a rebuild shop in your area, that's the cheapest fix.
Without a rebuild shop, the next best is a store that sells refurbished starters (you give them yours as part of the deal).

The old one needs to be tested.

Do you wish to remove it and replace it yourself?

·
1,554 Posts
Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
193 Posts
The fuel pump makes a whining noise. Is the clicking noise just one click when you turn the key to START or bunch of clicks?

Do you know for sure the battery is fully charged? A weak battery can cause the solenoid to click closed like Ray said, but it won't turn the starter.

EDIT: In addition to a weak battery, bad electrical connections because of bad battery terminals or old corroded battery cables or dirty, rusty, corroded ground wire connections can cause the solenoid to click closed but not have enough current to turn the starter.

37 Posts
Here I go again.WWII German U Boats, they employed a lot of solenoid control. The coil on the starter solenoid , needs a lot of EMF to motivate the rod (piston). It is possible the piston is ceased. Battery not providing enough amp, ( load), first query. I agree with my American neighbors , past post. Check the battery, But you have to have a load test. Not a DMM voltage drop test. The starter can be rebuilt. (Six Million Dollar Man) . But here in Kanada I just swap for a new one.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey there. Always cool to see another female wrenching. As others have already posted, in my experience the click no crank is bad starter. One way to test is to crawl underneath and hit starter with a hammer a couple of times, and it will usually start.

If it is bad, it is not that hard to swap out. Reman starters are around $100 (you usually have to turn in old starter to avoid core fee).

Reactions: RayVoy and thegawd

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 1996 GMC, the motor cranks but it will not start. Changed fule pump and relay it is getting gas has good spark,I changed the computer. What should I do next

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a 96 Chevy k1500, wasn't my truck so I'm not sure what all was done to the truck. Hooked up the battery and the headlights, windows and wippers all work. It doesn't crank, doesn't start I can hear some type of clicking when I try to crank it almost like it's the fuel pump clicking. I know it's a new to the truck engine and transmission. I just put a radiator, fan clutch in. I'm new to mechanics so please be patient with me
New pump can hear it run

1 - 10 of 10 Posts