GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Chevy S10 2.2L 4 cyl. Base 2WD
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the spark plugs changed, but I'm still getting this skipping and missing when I'm in 5th gear going up a hill, usually the cruise is on. It doesn't do it all the time, and it doesn't last long. It stops once I'm on top. What could be the problem? :unsure:
Thanks for reading my post.:geek:

·
Registered
14,048 Posts
Maybe you need to downshift to 4th

·
Registered
356 Posts
I agree with Ray, you're probably lugging the engine. With a manual transmission and the cruise control on, you're not going to get a downshift like you would with an automatic transmission controlled PCM. That 3rd pedal is there for a reason, use it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not talking about steep hills ... more like inclines ... It didn't do it before in those areas, and as I said before, it doesn't do it all the time. I'm wondering if it is the start of some kind of failure.:unsure:

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
506 Posts
I would start with ensuring you have proper fuel pressure. With the increased load and the slight pedal adjustment typically done by cruise control, you could just not be getting enough fuel to accommodate the hill. Had similar symptoms w/ my automatic trans truck.

·
Registered
14,048 Posts
Try to duplicate the problem without using cruise control

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will see if I can duplicate the problem without the cruise ... seems like it only does it when the cruise is involved. What would it mean if it does do it without the cruise?

·
Registered
14,048 Posts
I don't know what difference it would make.
It should act the same; but let's see,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wellsir ... I made a turn up an incline in 3rd gear and I got the skipping and missing without the cruise.

·
Registered
14,048 Posts
So not related to cruise, look at engine things.
So it happens when going up hill.

Is it because the fuel pickup is getting air?

Is it because the engine has to work harder to pull the hill?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts