GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am soon going to be getting the keys to my father's 1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4. It has the 5.7L vortec on it and only 140,000 km.

Im starting to plan ahead on modifying it and am in need of advice. Need to know the best in CAI or SRI, exaust, programmers, TB spacers?, Spark plugs? etc.

The vehicle is going to be a DD and will rarely be used for off-roading so a massive amount of power increase is not needed (fuel consumption is not a concern)

The exaust obviously can't be overwhelmingly loud, not sure if I should go with full exaust or just a catback (leaving the cats? removing them? replacing with resinators? etc.)

The programmer must be a simple hand held as my auto motive knowledge is limited.

Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Well I guess I'll just list what I would like to do if it was mine.

Intake: K&N ( I just like them)
Headers: Probly some decent shorties, Edelbrock or something like that since I'm not to sure who makes long tubes for it.
Programming: Hypertech Power Programmer 3
Exhaust: Maganaflow muffler with custom bent pipes at a shop. Also magnaflow High flow cat's to finish it off.
I wouldn't worry about the TB spacer because you wont see anything out of it.
Plugs and wires: Probly MSD wires with some denso iridium spark plugs.
There's a bunch more I can go into more detail with when I have more time but for now hope this helps.
Oh yeah quick price check, Total package probly about 1500-1700 not including install on the headers. :great:

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Intake: K&N FIPK
Headers: I have flowtech shorties.. cheap and work well
Exhaust... I have Edelbrock cat back and I love it... would also suggest magnaflow and flowmaster 40 with hi-flo cat
Plugs: Bosch platinum 4 or E3
Wires: Taylor or MSD with MSD coil
like finalday said throttle body spacers are not really worth it

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I am soon going to be getting the keys to my father's 1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4. It has the 5.7L vortec on it and only 140,000 km.

Im starting to plan ahead on modifying it and am in need of advice. Need to know the best in CAI or SRI, exaust, programmers, TB spacers?, Spark plugs? etc.

The vehicle is going to be a DD and will rarely be used for off-roading so a massive amount of power increase is not needed (fuel consumption is not a concern)

The exaust obviously can't be overwhelmingly loud, not sure if I should go with full exaust or just a catback (leaving the cats? removing them? replacing with resinators? etc.)

The programmer must be a simple hand held as my auto motive knowledge is limited.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Starting with cold air intakes: There are very few true Cold Air Intakes manufactured, and even less effectively performance. Buy a quality air filter, one of the oil-less washable/reusable ones would be best.
Exhaust: KM's, Im guessing Cannadien, which equals ice and snow, which equates to corrosion. Go Bola Stainless Steel or an Aluma coat exhaust if funds permit, full exhaust if possible.
TB Spacers: In my opinion they make good paper weights but not much more.
Spark plugs: Stick with factory specs, your not gonna gain a lot of performance unless you start doing head work.
Programmers: With your admitted lack of automotive knowledge I think at this time you could do more harm than good with a programmer. Stick with factory settings when you gain more knowledge about fuel maps, shifting points, and timeing you can then play with those settings.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
oiled filters like K&N are not necessarily bad unless you oil them too much after cleaning them which can screw up your mass airflow sensor. I have K&N and love it and have never had any problems with them neither have any of the people i know that own them.. However, I know that the non-oiled ones work well too especially AEM of AFE

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I have used an "oiled" K&N on my 2001 suburban for a few years without any problems and I have an AFE on my Silverado that is oiled and the AFE oil is formulated to not interfere with the MAF.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where would be the best shop (obviously going to have to ship, live in Sask, Canada.) to purchase these products from?

Looking for either AEM or K&N CAI.
For exaust looking to go Bola, Magnaflow (40) or edlebrock. (which ever I can find for a better price)

Still looking for a programmer. Maybe I'm really out of it but I thought it was possible to get programmers that had pre sets (usually 1-5, 1 being best fuel economy/DD and 5 being all out performance) that were already programmed into the hand held machine?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
edelbrock is gonna be your cheapest exhaust, it sounds great however i have it, than magnaflow which also sounds great, than Borla.... Borla is great but it is expensive... and just look online for the intake and exhaust... I got my exhaust form JEGS, jegs.com, intake form summit, summitracing.com

also try:

Jegs.com
summitracing.com
truckaddons.com
4wheelparts.com
4wheelonline.com

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Magnaflow has a series of universal and direct fit. I don't think they make direct fit for your specific truck so universals will work just fine. At summitracing.com they are like 65$ a piece or something like that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have decided that i want to go with true dual exaust (header back). How does this change my options?

Thanks for the advice.
Austyn

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
if you want to do that have a shop bend it up for you.... your gonna have to buy two cats (hi flow magnaflow) and two mufflers also.... than just give the shop your cats and mufflers and they will do it for you.... In total you may be spending maybe 800 or so (I think... guys correct me if Im wrong) but it will sound better in the end

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I think I will go with Borla exaust or magnaflow, will any headers improve their performance?(that is to say will any headers work better?)
If not i think I think I will go with the ones from JC Whitney to support our local vendors.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
headers are headers to me... maybe its just me but I cant justify spending a lot for headers when they are all pretty much the same thing... Im not willing to pay 200 extra dollars for 1 horsepower...My only regret was not getting mine ceramic coated ( which was like 130 more thats why I didnt get it) and they are rusting already after 6 months

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright maybe I will get ceramic coating then, might as well spend the extra cash to get the better results. When Im getting the shop to bend up the pipes for me, how thick should I plan on going? I was thinking 3" but will this not be enough to properly utalize the mufflers?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
3" will be fine for your truck its what most systems use for our trucks... than just get 3 1/2" or 4" tips or something

·
Registered
63 Posts
True duals are a waste of money . Unless you're making 500+HP , you don't need more than 2.5 in. dual pipes with a Magnaflow 2 in 2 out muffler . The muffler acts as a crossover to equalize preasure . I have this setup on my 99 Tahoe with stainless headers ALL stainless pipes . Don't try to save a quarter now when it will cost you a dollar later . Exhaust gasses contain moisture , add roadsalt to the mix , you'd be lucky to get 2 years out of anything less than stainless , I've done it . The Hypertech 32000 did a great job on my Tahoe , I'm waiting for March 8 when my Magnaflo w dual cat system is supposed to be in at Summit Racing . To not use you're money wisely , is a waste .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
True duals are a waste of money . Unless you're making 500+HP , you don't need more than 2.5 in. dual pipes with a Magnaflow 2 in 2 out muffler . The muffler acts as a crossover to equalize preasure . I have this setup on my 99 Tahoe with stainless headers ALL stainless pipes . Don't try to save a quarter now when it will cost you a dollar later . Exhaust gasses contain moisture , add roadsalt to the mix , you'd be lucky to get 2 years out of anything less than stainless , I've done it . The Hypertech 32000 did a great job on my Tahoe , I'm waiting for March 8 when my Magnaflo w dual cat system is supposed to be in at Summit Racing . To not use you're money wisely , is a waste .

So what you're saying is that I should just go with a magnaflow that will turn it into a dual system after the muffler?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts