GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the transmission went out on my truck. Seems to be that the previous owner treated granny first like it was a hotrod gear and tore it up. The dealership that I got it from said they would get whatever was causing the issue fixed and turns out it needs a new tranny. This sucks as they are taking FOREVER to do anything about it (I bought the truck in April and have driven for only a week or 2 at max). I have no idea where to go for another transmission to do it myself. The shop that the dealer took it to said they were only able to find like 4 in the WORLD that had the same gears as the one in my truck. It is 4wd so I'm not sure how much that plays into it with the transfer case and whatnot. The guy estimated it would cost the dealership $2300 plus shipping which it has to come up to Alaska. I don't have that kinda cash being military. I really hate this truck now :grrrrrr:

At first it would just pop out of first. Now 2nd won't engage at all and putting it in other gears you can hear a grinding noise even in neutral. I can't drive the dang thing and the wife works too so it's a real pain to share on car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Go to a junk yard and pull a 4L60E(you are talking about a automatic, right?) out of a truck with the same engine. You wont have the 5th gear, but it should match up and work with your PCM, if it's the same year, same engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the 5 speed manual. 390 Getrag, NV3500 one of those. The code for the transmission in the glovebox is M50.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh, that sucks...dang...well, if you are desperate to get it to just run, you can go get a TH400 and throw it in there, might have to rig up some kind of shift mechanism, but it's a mechanical automatic, so it should work.

I've never seen a c/k truck with a manual, just don't see them too often..

·
Registered
541 Posts
dang i know what trans. your talking about its a wierd looking thing.. well its a little diff looking. Assuming its the transmission im thinking of. I think mine is the NV2500 which is the more common one. My friend just junked his truck that was a '98 with that same trans. I think only 2 or 3% of those trucks came with that transmission. But Try taking it apart yourself and seeing if you can fix it. What have you got to lose if they told you it was "junk". I would take it and have a look inside first. If its just poping out its probably just the shifting detents in there which are ball bearings on a spring that hold it in gear. Pretty easy fix if you take your time.. Wish I could help but im sure you can find one closer.. Just do your reasearch, I have a feeling that other transmission will still work with your 4WD. If I can ill see if my buddys old truck is still salvagable and if its the same tranny and let you know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I just did some reaserch and my truck has the same tranny as you, only mine is a 2WD. I was thinking on the NV4500. I dont see why they cant get you that tranny. Its pretty common unless for some reason its some really weird oddball one that has different gear ratios or something.. You could probably goto an Autozone and order a rebuilt one. I work there so ill check it out later when I go into work. The shipping is free through them too. But I dont see why its so hard to get that tranny. Mine is also a NV3500 as well.

What tranny do you have..
1)
http://www.motivegear.com/tech_info/tranny_guide/images/nxnv1500.jpg

2) http://www.nv4500.com/images/nv4500_150.jpg

They might look slightly diff than yours as years might differ slightly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have that tranny in my truck believe it or not there are pretty common around my neck of the woods. farmer customer buy them with sticks i will look around and see what i can find

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

here is one for 800 bucks company claims to have them in both 2 and 4 wheel drive apps
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-GMC-NV3500-5-speed-Manual-Transmission-/170673933170?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bcf58b72

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was also able to find it avalable through my work for about 2k rebuilt with 3 year warranty on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I guess the shop looked for the trans. with the VIN of the truck and only found 4 that were an exact match. Still waiting on the shop to get the trans. in. This is week 3. All I really know is that it is an NV3500 apparently it was also called the 390 Getrag? Or they were just very similar.

Wish I could afford that rebuilt one but that's not gonna happen. So I get to borrow other peoples cars or bum rides til it's fixed by the shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts