GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a nice 27 foot tow behind trailer it weighs around 7540 gross. I got 3:73 gears and the 5.7 L 350. I am getting the reese leveling hitch to help. I am wondering what you guys think about this set up and if you think ill have a problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just checked the sales literature that I got with my 1996 Z71. It has the ball hitch ratings for a K1500, 7000 lbs max trailer weight, 850 lbs tongue load, with the 3.73 axle ratio. It's A real close call & that would be up to you. Make sure the trucks tires & wheels are well rated.The truck and trailer brakes need to be good & you need a brake controller in the truck. Most times it's easy to pull a trailer, but it's hard to stop it in a hurry with 1/2 ton brakes. I used to pull my 24 footer dry to help the truck and also I put air bags on the back. I would fill it with H20 when we got to our destination. Hopefully your truck has the trailering & cooling options also because you can't do it without those. After having a Duramax/Alli I don't think I would pull a trailer of much size with a gasser. Good luck with your rv'ing.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
With the weight dist. hitch and brake controller you wil be alright. just be aware that the 250hp Vortec in your truck isnt near what the trucks today have for power so as long as you arent in a hurry you will be alright.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts