GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just recently bought a 97 Express 1500 van that was converted when it was new. I got it from an older dude that's kinda getting forgetful and he not able to answer any questions very well. I am just trying to figure out how the electrical system in the back for the fridge, microwave etc works. I thought it would be pretty easy to figure out. The only source of power I can find back there is shore power or the main starter battery. When I first got it the power in the back kinda worked. I could turn on the lights and the fridge and stuff. I didn't run them or anything and now the lights are very dim like it's losing power but still has a little. I can't find any fuse boxes for that area. There is a 2 switch box under the bed but I am not sure exactly what they're for. Does anyone got any tips for me? I obviously don't have much knowledge of these things. Any help would be great. I've searched and searched for a manual or the company that did the conversion and no luck at all.
Thanks!!!
Jesse

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Chewy first, check the fridge, make sure it was designed to run on 12volts (as well as 120ac).

The give me a picture of the 2 switch box your talking about.

I suspect your dim lights are from a poor connection (assuming the battery is well charged and can hold a charge).
You may need to chase wiring from the battery to the rear, inspecting every joint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Ray thanks for responding. I am sending a pic of the fridge label which says 120ac 12v Dc and one of the 2 switch box. Also a pic of the holes in the inside wall of the fridge. Do those make it unusable? Yeah I think maybe my battery isn't getting recharged all the way when I drive. The van was sitting for years before I got it and I was using the 12v cig lighter in the back for various reasons. I don't anymore because it doesn't have any power. Maybe the battery is really old and can't recharge itself anymore. M
The van starts up no problem email so I don't know. I want to get a 2nd battery and a isolator for now and then solar down the road. I live in my van full-time so having power is a pretty nice luxury.

Jesse

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Sorry Chewy, didn't realize you knew the van that well, you made it sound like it was new to you and you were trying to repair.
Anyway, that is a 12v fridge. They take a lot of power, so clean connections are very important.

Do you have a voltage meter?
You need to check the battery voltage when nothing is turned on, then check the voltage at the fridge with the fridge turned on.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Ray, are you saying that this is strictly 12v or 120v, no propane whatsoever? If this is the case I wouldn't use it at all on 12v. Iv done a lot of work on propane fridges but never a 12v. For it to be melted like that says to me that something has burned inside of it and that is unsafe.

Another option if the fridge checks out would be to give it it's own system. However a new fridge, may be expensive but it may be cheaper. Either way since your off grid I would invest in a decent solar system and a good inverter.

Al

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Al, I was just answering my own question of "was it capable of operating on 12volts" .

Your right, of course, for the plastic to be melted like that, something got very hot.

The fridge is probably toast!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts