GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was driving and the Suburban quit running and would not start. Had it towed home, changed the fuel filter and fuel pump still does not start nor does it try(turns over fine). Pulled a plug and I have spark and I poured some gas in the throttle body but nothing.
Looking for suggestions but I don't have test tools.
Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
97 Suburban quit running and won't start

My wife was driving and the Suburban quit running and would not start. Had it towed home, changed the fuel filter and fuel pump still does not start nor does it try(turns over fine). Pulled a plug and I have spark and I poured some gas in the throttle body but nothing.
Looking for suggestions but I don't have test tools.
Thanks
Rick​

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Even though you replaced the fuel pump & filter doesn't mean you have the required fuel pressure. Auto zone & other parts houses will loan you a fuel pressure guage if you leave a deposit with them. Since you have spark, FP would be the next logical & easiest thing to check.
One thing that doesn't make sense is that when you put some fuel down the TB, if you have spark why didn't it fire? Did you get any results when you did this? Did it backfire, pop, anything? If you have spark & you pour fuel down the TB you should have gotten it to at least fire off on a couple cylinders, or backfire, or something. Are you getting a nice strong blue spark, or is it weak & orange colored?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response, I got nothing from pouring some gas in the TB, the spark was orange not blue but it seemed consistent with the rotation of the distributor.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sounds like your not getting a strong enough spark to me. Try replacing your ignition coil, you should be able to get one at a parts store for about 40$. Make sure that you distrubutor didnt come lose and come out of time. Do all your plugs have an orange spark? Even an orange spark can cause it to do nothing. It needs to be a bluish/white color. I would try a new ignition coil first and check your distrubutor.

Check.... Fuel------> Spark------> Compression

Hope this helps a litttle. Good luck!

·
Registered
192 Posts
theres a fuel pump relay in the fuse box on the drivers side fender...at least thats where it was on my 99. do a google search, and you may come up with some info on how to jumper thru the relay to trouble shoot your fuel pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts