GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...!! I just replaced the 5.7 l in my 97 suburban.. well.. not as easy as I had thought.. a lot of tapes came off.. during the engine replacement, and I'm ready to put this thing together.. my question 1.;firing sequence of the 5.7 l vortec. numbers on the distributor is marked.. but just wanted to be sure of the ENGINE SIDE OF THE sprk plug cables.. driver side, and the passanger side....?? .. QUESTION 2.; distributor ROD placement.. ; what is the right way to have the timing of the rod.. what do I have to do to have right timing .... I know it's a electronic distributor, but I don't think I could just stick it in and expect it to have proper timing...QUESTION 3..;I did take out the torque converter with the engine, and did not fill it with tranny oil in it when I was putting it in.. what would be the right steps to take to get it right from here..???:neutral:. your help will be appreciated.. thanks.. jc..:neutral:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well the firing order for a 97 surburban 350 is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

for the distributor, get i belive a 15/16" socket and ratchet or bar and turn the crankshaft till cylinder #1 is at tdc. then when you slide the distributor in check to see if your on or off and adjust till your on time, (remember some caps say cylinder 1 on the ie. left corner, but the rotor has to be in the right corner to give spark to #1, basically, follow the lines under the cap)

and i think this is what you mean by by psngr and driver side is 1357 on driver side and 2468 on passenger

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
o.k.. that's great.. I'll try those sequence on the plugs.. and the distributor rod.. as well.. any other suggestions that I may not be thinking of..?? things to watch out for..?? or any tips... ?? any help would be appreciated.. thanks...jc..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts